Girl’s Varsity Volleyball Puts Power Behind a Win in Start of Season

by Remington Foster, Sports Editor

On Sept. 1, the Palo Verde women’s varsity volleyball team started their season off with a strong 3-0 win against the Rancho Rams.

The starting serve was from sophomore Mia Sadler and with a mishap on Palo’s side, the point was immediately given to the rams as well as the following point after that. After the rams gained the second point, it had officially kicked in that the panthers had decided that they came to win with freshman Arien Faford giving the scoreboard a change.

The next five points were Palo’s, giving them a solid lead 6-2, which really got the crowd full of Palo’s StuCo and the men’s volleyball team rallied up in the stands. The teams both had their fans getting loud with enthusiasm, making the atmosphere filled with support and tension for their team to get the next point, which Rancho did.

The set was overall a breezy match, with Palo staying consistently in the lead and eventually taking the win 25-12. Palo’s freshman Carli Tanner had an amazing spike that got the eighteenth point for the team and had the fans going wild.

In the beginning of the second set Saddler had the starting hit, and it was returned out of bounds giving Palo the first point. Palo had a two point lead before Rancho even gained a point.  They soon tied up the scoreboard at 2-2.

Set two started off in questionable conditions for who would take the lead, but Palo came out on top with points from taps from junior Sydney Jones, spikes from senior Nickelle Fleming and overall many outstanding hits from our school team.

Once again Palo came out victorious for the second set with an end all score of  25-17, making it a bit of a closer set than the first.

“I think we played well as a team for it being our first game. Everyone was nervous at first, but once we started playing I think the nerves went away,” said junior Riley Riddels, a three time returning varsity starter.

In the third, Palo Verde’s Sadler held the lead with many impressive plays that helped contribute. In this set, it became apparent that the Panthers were on track to win as they gained the first three points.  Specifically, junior Aaliah Largusa, made a strong spike to add another point to the scoreboard. The Panthers were on their way to victory as they made the Rams continuously have to dive and work before the ball hit the court.

“I’m a setter, so it doesn’t happen often [that I score] but it felt good especially on that point because it was the end to a long rally,” said Saddler.

Toward the end of the set, the score was 24-11 with Palo in the lead. Then, an incredible volley happened, lasting for what seemed like minutes. It was a turning point in the game for the Palo Verde Panthers and, ultimately, they won the third set and swept the whole game with a 3-0 final.

Overall, the women’s volleyball team has a bright looking path to state ahead of them, and will play again against Silverado in an away game on Sept. 7.