Reorganization of CCSD to take place in August 2017

The Nevada Department of Education has allowed plans for reorganization in the summer of July

courtesy of the Nevada Department of Education

by Denzel Reyes, News Editor

Ever since the month of July, lawmakers and CCSD trustees have started to work out a 24 paged plan that will break down CCSD through reorganizing districts. As of Sept.9, twelve state lawmakers have unanimously approved the proposed regulations.

Reorganization offers plans to make the 350 and growing schools in the CCSD more community oriented. The Las Vegas Sun reports that, of many things, principals are now in direct control of their respective schools instead of answering to a superintendent. In turn, principals, along with the counsel of the superintendent, teachers and parents, will have the potential ability to decide which teachers they hire and where funding will be allocated.

In the coming eleven months till the next school year, principals and central admins will need to be trained how to handle the new regulations, and each school’s respective principals will then have to train their staff.

Although an estimation for the costs have not been released, funding for the reorganization will come from the central administration. According to Las Vegas Now, 80 percent of education funds will directly be sent to schools and eventually 85 percent by the 2018-2019 school year .

Senator Michael Robison reasoned that precedence of breaking down urban school districts have worked to improve school performance.

“ We also know that the current structure we have at CCSD does not work. We’re 49th and 50th.”

The ‘empowerment model’ has been proposed in 2008 in Nevada, but it failed due to no state support. Along with these worries, some support staffers, separate from educators and administrators, are wary of losing their jobs due to the possibility of the principal outsourcing their jobs to a private sector.

Other concerns come in the form of subsidized teacher salaries. Under this model, the 18,000 plus teachers in the CCSD will receive the same salary. Problems, according to board members, could arise when wealthy communities, such as Summerlin, have the ability to hire more teachers and so funding has to be adjusted to pay for those teachers; funding that could be paid to hire more teachers in at-risk schools where the teacher-to-student ratio has been an issue.

The proposed plan was signed by Governor Brian Sandoval last year for reorganization in the 2018-2019 school year, but lawmakers have designated a deadline in August 2017 to accommodate  the school year of 2017-2018.