What you missed in Rio 2016

by Hope Freeland, Senior Editor

Every four years, the world’s best athletes compete in the Olympic games in hopes of bringing back a gold medal for their country.  This year, the U.S.A. team brought home a total of 121 medals, making the U.S the most awarded team.

The U.S team had many standout athletes who helped bring home the gold. Some of these

included Michael Phelps and Katie Ledecky from the swim team and Simone Biles, Aly Raisman and Laurie Hernandez from the gymnastics team.  

United States swimmer Michael Phelps competed in his last Olympics, and won a total of six medal, five of which were gold. Phelps has said numerous times that his last games could not have gone any better. He continued to break numerous records, some of which were his own.

Nineteen year old Katie Ledecky has been nicknamed the female Michael Phelps due to her outstanding achievements.  Ledecky won the 200m, 400m and 800m freestyle with ease.  During the 800m freestyle, Ledecky was not only far in front of the others swimmers but she was in front of the world record line causing her to become the new world record holder.  

The U.S. gymnastics team had viewers everywhere on the edge of their seat. The team blew our minds yet again with their outstanding performances. Viewers felt a range of emotions while watching; spectators went from being too nervous to watch in fear that a gymnast might fall to being over the moon excited that they pulled out a win.

Simone Biles has been named the world’s best gymnast after her Olympic debut. Biles won a total of four gold and one bronze medal. She won gold in women’s vault, women’s team all-around, women’s floor, women’s individual all-around and a bronze in women’s beam.  Biles is such a great gymnast that she has a move named after her,  called the “Biles”, a double layout half out.

Aly Raisman, another gymnast, has just competed in her second Olympic games at the age of 22. She won gold in women’s team all-around and silver in women’s floor and individual all-around. Raisman surprised fans when she announced that she hoped to compete in the 2020 Olympics, because she is considered old for a gymnast even though she is still young by most standards. Gymnasts are usually done by this age and she was the oldest this year.

Laurie Hernandez is only sixteen and is already an Olympic gold medalist. She won gold in women’s team all-around a silver in beam. She is the youngest member of the team, and hopes to compete again in 2020. Her Olympic fame has allowed her to go on a tour around the country with the rest of the team and she in currently competing on “Dancing with the Stars.”

Olympic fans across the country are excited to see what the returning olympians have in store for the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo, Japan.