‘Warm Fuzzies’ Spread Respect at Palo

Warm fuzzies were created and designed with yarn to enhance Respect Week at Palo from Monday, Oct. 3 through Friday, Oct. 7

Vanessa Abbitt

Vanessa Abbitt

Even though the weather is cooling off, warm fuzzies are spreading like disease. The idea behind them was to get students to give more compliments, be more courteous to one another and spread kindness as part of Respect Week.

The warm fuzzies are necklaces made of yarn with a yarn puff at the end of it.  Each string in the puff is easily removed so that it can be shared.  Each string is called a warm fuzzy and represents a compliment.  When two people exchange compliments, they tie one of each other’s warm fuzzies on their own necklace.

Many people agreed on Warm Fuzzies being an annual occurrence and enjoyed the idea.

“It’s a good thing for freshmen to do because it helps them to meet new people, which may be a harder thing for shy people to do,” says freshman Brandon Conerty.

He agreed that it makes a good welcoming to new students and incoming freshmen who may be nervous about making friends in high school.

The librarian Mr. Mitchell said that it’s a good thing for “students to be acknowledged for the good things they do and teachers as well.”  

He continues to explain that the warm fuzzies are a good way for students and teachers to appreciate and acknowledge each other.

In the midst of all this positivity, some students would just give some to all of their friends causing this to become a popularity contest; a reason why some people aren’t a fan of the idea.

“I don’t like the fuzzies because it’s about popularity. Kids turn it into popularity so it the most popular kids have the most fuzzies and the least popular kids have less fuzzies, so it just ruins the whole thing and it turns into a popularity contest which is not the point,” says junior Thomas Hughes.

Hughes, however, thought that the warm fuzzies were a good idea, just poorly executed and he hopes to see this again next year in a different way.