Why I Despise Taylor Swift

Taylor Swift at the IHeartRadio Music Awards in April, 2016

via. Meltyfan.it

via. Meltyfan.it

by Kaitlyn Suwanvichit, Reporter

As a young girl easily influenced, I used to look up to Taylor Swift in many ways. Now, being more mature, I’ve realized that Swift is not the role model she claims to be.

Taylor Swift has written many pop hits for several years, and just last year, she announced that she was a real ‘feminist’. I find this ironic, considering literally every single one of her ‘hits’ are about love and the seeming idolization of the ‘perfect guy.’ Her girl squad, including Gigi Hadid, Lorde, Karlie Kloss and more, even allowed no boys because the pop media ‘shames women more.’

The pop icon has stated how she wants to bring up women in this society, but does nothing more than further subject them to sexism.

It’s very obvious that Taylor Swift is neither a role model nor a true feminist”

“My hope for the future, not just in the music industry, but in every girl I meet… is that they all realize their worth and ask for it,” she stated in a recent interview. Yet, she always seems to be hypocritical to her own words. According to her own lyrics, a girl’s worth is based on her social status in high school or whether a boy brings her flowers or not.

Swift’s song “Bad Blood” was written about her feud with fellow pop icon, Katy Perry. When making her music video, she and girl squad reunited, taking down one bad villain, which supposedly represented Katy Perry. This doesn’t, to me at least, seem very support-your-fellow-girls attitude that portrays.

It was also just recently that the pop singer was ‘exposed’ by Kim Kardashian-West and Kanye West. When Kanye West released his new song, “Famous” one lyric triggered Swift because she was mentioned in the song with not the best of words. It was just a song, and yet Swift took everything out of context, overreacted, and proved her hypocrisy, given she just wrote a song bashing someone else.

She then made a big deal on social media, interviews, and award ceremonies claiming that she had no idea that this song about her was going to be released, despite evidence against her, saying she okay’d the lyric herself. Again mentioning feminism, she said this was a prime example of why society is so terrible. It was then that Kim Kardashian released videos of Kanye on the phone with Taylor and he asked for the approval from her to release the song with lyrics.

Even after being exposed, Swift still acted like the victim, claiming that Kanye and Kim were horrible and tried making her “seem like the bad guy” and that this society is “not okay.”

Between hypocritical songs and over-dramatic public problems, it’s very obvious that Taylor Swift is neither a role model nor a true feminist and that young girls should not idolize and aspire to live their life like hers.

1 Comment

One Response to “Why I Despise Taylor Swift”

1. Alexandria Anderson on December 9th, 2016 1:55 pm

good job

[Reply]

*

• Why I Despise Taylor Swift

Wonder Woman Review

• OPINIONS

Senior Panther Bites 2017

• Why I Despise Taylor Swift

Miley Cyrus’ “Malibu” Single Review

• Why I Despise Taylor Swift

editorials

The Wrong Way to Handle Terrorism

• Why I Despise Taylor Swift

Master of None Season 2 Review

• Why I Despise Taylor Swift

editorials

The Effects of Apple’s Monopoly

• Why I Despise Taylor Swift

columnists

How Schools Are Ruining Our Youth With Abstinence

• Why I Despise Taylor Swift

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 review

• Why I Despise Taylor Swift

columnists

How Schools Are Ruining Our Youth With Standardized Tests

• Why I Despise Taylor Swift

Emmanuel Macron Victorious in French Presidential Election

Why I Despise Taylor Swift