Vine Shuts Down

One of your top creative media platforms sadly is no more

by Jake Grosvenor, Opinions Editor

On Tuesday, Jan. 17, the app Vine shut down after almost four years of being a place for many to share videos.

The social media app, Vine, had been scheduled to shut down since late 2016, but Tuesday marked the official closing of the app. Vine was a video sharing site that allowed users to upload clips that were seven seconds long. The app grew in popularity and spawned many trends from it’s users.

Over the three plus years Vine was active, many trends and jokes had come from it’s dedicated crowd. Sayings like “What are those,” “Deez Nuts,” and trends like, the remix of the Little Einsteins theme song, along with many users that found this app their birthplace for creativity.

This app not only brought new additions to pop culture, but brought fame to many people who beforehand, no one knew. People like, Kingbach, Amanda Cerny, DeStorm, and many other internet personnel found Vine the take off to their careers. People of all ages could find the humor and content something to enjoy.

“I enjoyed Vine a great deal, due to the comedy it brought me and many others. It was an amazing media tool for millions of people to create something and make people laugh, or to have people see awesome events,” Anthony Luevano, a previous Vine user, said.

Over the years, the success of these Viners grew to amazing numbers; the name Lele Pons soon became Vine’s equivalent to Tom Cruise.

The last year of Vine saw a decrease in Vine’s popularity due to the moves their most popular content creators made to Youtube. Viners quickly saw how with Vine, being an ad-free site, the money was not there for them to make a living.

Vine was large in not only its community, but it’s diversity. Vine saw the beginning of what was known as edits. Along with live videos, edits were clips of events that were dubbed over with other vocals or pictures to create a new Vine.

Many people enjoyed this edits, but as the fan base grew, more offensive and crude edits came to surface. While many people enjoyed the vines, Vine itself was quick to block and ban accounts that made these edits. The editors themselves became upset and many left to Youtube.

In late 2016, a meeting was held with the top 50 Viners in hopes to resurrect the app, amongst these people were users like Kingbach, Destorm, Curtis Lepore, Piques, and many others. The meeting was to create a plan to bring back viewers, but the plan feel short when the content creators asked for over a million dollars a years to make vines. This was something Vine could not afford, and alas the app was announced to be shut down.

While the fan base was not as large as it had been, many were upset to see Vine go.

“ Vine was one of a kind, and we will never get something like it again” said Anthony Luevano

As for Vine’s videos, they are  still online to enjoy but no longer will new content be posted.