Why Gendering Products is Useless

by Hope Freeland, Senior Editor

Companies use many marketing techniques such as gendering to attract people to their products in hopes that it will cause people to buy the product. Products such as, razors, shaving cream, shampoo, and many other beauty products use gendering to help sell their products to men and women. Gendering is pointless and only helps the companies.  

Many of the products are the same exact thing, however it’s in different packaging. Men’s products often come in red, blue, and other dark colors with similar writing in the packaging.  Women’s products come in pink, purple and other light colors with a more delicate and nicer writing. Companies use different packaging to sell more of their items even if the product is the exact same for men and women.  

The only difference in the product, besides the packaging, is the scent. Men tend to not want many scent options, while the women like to have many scent options.  Women tend to care more how they smell, while men care more about using product for the intended purpose.

Like me some people prefer to have less scent in their products. A strong scent can be too overwhelming and cause people to not like the product as much. Men’s product tend to have less of a scent making the products more enjoyable for people like me.

Other products have issues as well. If you look and the ingredients of lotion, shaving cream, shampoo, etc. it will have the identical ingredients listed. Having two of an identical product is pointless because anyone can use those products not just men or women.

Razors for men are significantly cheaper than women’s razors despite working the same way. Many women find that men’s razors work much better and prefer using them. If they work better and are cheaper, why buy the more expensive women’s ones that are pink and purple?

People that buy these products feel like that have to buy the products that is geared towards their gender because of what society says they should buy.

They feel that they will be judged for buying the opposite gender’s product and think it isn’t good for them even if it’s the same thing.

Society is teaching kids that boys have to have certain colored things while girls should have certain colored things. This is teaching kids that they can’t have their own thoughts and must do what society wants.

Gendering products is useless and only helps the company profit more. Companies use gendering as a marketing to help their sales. They only consider what would help them and not what is best for their customers, but people should be able to use whatever they want and not have to worry about it being for men or women.  This issue can be fixed by removing the men and women lables and picking colors that are not generally associated with men or women.