The War On Living

by Eli Duncan, Reporter

The War on Drugs. The War on Men and Women. The War on Christmas and, most importantly, the War on Terror. Political figures have given any subject a new war and two opposing sides. Each war is and different, and each side is right in their own ways.

The issue with having a “War on…” is that nothing is truly an important issue if everything has it’s own war.

The War on Drugs started with former President Richard Nixon stating “America’s public enemy number one in the United States is drug abuse. In order to fight and defeat this enemy, it is necessary to wage a new, all-out offensive…” The War on Drugs has been ongoing since 1971 and has cost the federal government over a trillion dollars, and in 2010, the federal government spent just about $500 per second according to drugsense.org. This particular war is, in my eyes, a necessary war that could prevent the death of many. Combating the issue of drugs has been varied, some just flat-out legalizing marijuana for recreational and medicinal use for persons over the age of 21, like here in the state of Nevada.

The War on Terror was started by President George W. Bush in September of 2001. This war has cost not only trillions of dollars, but it’s also cost the lives of thousands of soldier and civilian lives across the world. This war isn’t a war of soldiers and fighters. This is a war on ideas, in which the idea from our enemy is “death to the West” and the idea that America and her allies hold is “the West is the best”. The problem lies in that ideas can’t be killed. The people who hold them may die, but their successors will take their place and take the previous leaders ideas with them. Both the War on Drugs and Terror are very important, but are both unfortunately losing battles in terms of ideas that are costing the world lives and money.

The idea that there is a war on men, women, Christmas, and other social issues is unfortunately a rising problem. Third-wave feminism is waging a war on men. Meninists are waging a war on women. Radical Muslims are waging a war on Christians and radical Christians are waging a war on Muslims. Like the war on drugs and terror, these are wars of ideals. It has truly come to Democrat vs. Republican. No matter what the political view is, we all need to stop looking at the differences between gender and religion, and we need to start looking at the similarities.

Men and women both want equality, no matter what the mainstream media and politicians say, men want equality just as much as women do. Muslims want exactly what Christians want, and that’s to be kind and considerate to all so that they can get to their version of a good afterlife. They just have different ways of attaining it. Republicans and Democrats are fundamentally the same. Fundamentally, each party wants the United States to unify and come together on issues and create a solution that works for everyone. Having this war on ideas accomplishes nothing but division in an already divided country. Whether or not you like Donald Trump, Vladimir Putin, Justin Trudeau, Theresa May, or any other world leader, you have to hope that they not only unify their own country, but also unify the world.