Get Out Movie Review

DANIEL KALUUYA as Chris Washington in

DANIEL KALUUYA as Chris Washington in "Get Out," a speculative thriller from Blumhouse (producers of "The Visit," "Insidious" series and "The Gift") and the mind of Jordan Peele, when a young African-American man visits his white girlfriend’s family estate, he becomes ensnared in a more sinister real reason for the invitation.

Photo Credit: Universal Pictures

Photo Credit: Universal Pictures

by Makayla Purvis, Co-Entertainment Editor

Rating: 10/10

MPAA Rating: R

Director: Jordan Peele

Starring: Daniel Kaluuya, Allison Williams, Catherine Keener, and Bradley Whitford

Release Date: February 24, 2017

Jordan Peele, best known for his comedic sketch show “Key & Peele”, makes his directorial debut with the new horror movie, Get Out. A movie that speaks boldly on race and has since received an impressive 100 percent approval rating from more than one hundred critics on Rotten Tomatoes, which is nearly impossible for any movie to achieve.

Get Out is a suspenseful horror movie about a young talented African American photographer named Chris (Daniel Kaluuya) who’s invited by his Caucasian girlfriend, Rose (Allison Williams), for a weekend getaway estate meeting with her family.

The audience can already sense a problem surfacing when Chris asks his girlfriend, “Do your parents know that I’m black?”

Similar to Split, Get Out is another unpredictable, thrilling movie that will keep the audience on the edge of their seats throughout the whole hour and forty four minutes of the movie. Although it’s considered to be a horror movie, it can be described as a suspenseful comedic movie with plot twists that the audience will never see coming.

On their drive to Rose’s parents house, they crash into a deer. As a result, they call the police to put in a report. The viewer’s first sense of racism is when the white police officer asks Chris for his driver’s license even though he wasn’t the one who was driving.  

After this incidence, Chris reaches Rose’s parents house, where he discovers that they are a white family who only has creepy, mysterious black servants working for them, somewhat similar to slavery.

When Chris meets Rose’s parents, they address him with politeness but drop subtle hints that reveal their anxiousness of hiding their discomfort of his race.

It just so happens that Rose’s parents are hosting a yearly party for their fellow neighbors the same weekend that Chris visits. When Chris meets the neighbors, he realizes that they are racist too but try to hide their discomfort, just like Rose’s parents, by mentioning their likes for famous athletes such as Tiger Woods and Babe Ruth. They also ask Chris if there are advantages or disadvantages to the black experience and tell him that being black is “in fashion.”

Initially, Chris reads the Armitages, Rose’s family, strange behavior as an anxious attempt to deal with their daughter’s first interracial relationship. However, as the weekend progresses, Chris begins to discover some shocking truths and realizes that he’s living in a horrible white nightmare that is a new version of slavery.

The music in Get Out also sets the tone for the movie. With a soundtrack full of African music, Indian music, and strange sounds that the audience probably haven’t heard before, it’s a bit unsettling and weird at first. However, the music actually matches the structural tone of the creepy, yet thrilling movie.

Additionally, amongst the suspense, there’s also comedy which adds a unique aspect to the movie. Chris’s best friend, Rod (Lil Rel Howery), serves as the comic relief in the movie through his hilarious theories and remarks about the Armitages that accurately represent what the viewers are actually thinking. He serves as a loud and opinionated character which is very rare in movies.

Moreover, despite the not so famous cast, the actors and actresses in this movie are amazing at portraying their characters and shows their well developed acting experience. It’s easy to believe in their character and be shocked amongst various plot twists in the movie that improves the character’s development.

Overall, Get Out is a remarkable movie that has an unsettling, horror commentary on racism. It shows how racism is still very prevalent in society today, even if we may miss it through seemingly innocent situations and conversations. Get Out speaks to all races and anyone who watches it will certainly enjoy it.