The Current State of Cops

by Eli Duncan, Reporter

Cops have had an increase in bad publicity over the past few years in terms of them being accused of racism. Shows like “Cops” don’t even touch on the hardships cops face in the line of duty. The current state of cops, according to the mainstream media, is they’re all racist people with a vendetta against minorities. That is just wrong. Cops, in my eyes, are busy enough with what’s going on in the situation to worry about the race of the perpetrator.

This has been named the “War on Cops”. This is where the people lose faith in the police and criticize them to a point where they no longer want to serve the people.

Every human being has value. That’s how we fix the problem.”

— Captain Walsh

“Do we believe, or do I believe the people have lost faith in the police?” Captain Andrew Walsh of the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department (LVMPD) said, “I always say no, the community has not lost faith in their police departments.” According to Captain Walsh, in the LVMPD alone, there were about 4,500 calls to 911 daily. As far as a “war on cops”, it is a reporting of “racist” cops.

Cops don’t have time to be worried about the race of the perp. Their job, as Captain Walsh puts it, is to “prevent violent crime and to reduce violent crime. And what it really boils down to is protecting our community.” As it stands, cops shot and killed 238 white people and 123 black people, according to the zerohedge.com breakdown of 2016 cop violence. According to those numbers, a white person is 52% more likely to be shot than a black person. Unfortunately, the media has been pushing a “racist America” agenda and cops have taken a blow.

Among the many things Donald Trump has claimed to be, the “president for cops” is one he has tried to push harder than others. Walsh has said that he has been asked about Donald Trump more times in the last few months over other questions. The area he serves is 60% percent Hispanic, and there have been concerns that Metro will be participating in Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) raids. Walsh has assured that Metro will not be participating or helping in ICE raids.

Now that Las Vegas cops are required to wear body cams, it is easier to review reports of force. Captain Walsh said that there is a chain of command like procedure when reviewing footage.

“If force is actually used, the officer is required to document that on a use of force report,” Walsh said, “The body camera footage is reviewed, his Sergeant reviews the use of force incident and does a write up, then it is forwarded to the Lieutenant who can recommend training or formal discipline, then it is forwarded to the Captain who reviews everything and then it gets sent off to internal affairs where they can review if need be.”

Many wonder if it’s right for there to be an internal investigation for use of force complaints as there may be bias in favor of the cop. However, the police officers sign up to protect us and they won’t jeopardize our safety to keep a crooked cop in the station and working.  As a rule, more serious issues, like fights and shootings, should be investigated externally while less serious issues, like the suspect getting pushed on the ground for not complying, should be investigated internally.

As it stands, there is an “issue” with cops. The issue lies in the media, (on both sides of bias) who have pushed different agendas. Certain right-of-center leaning news stations have pushed that all cops are good and then certain left-of-center leaning news stations have pushed that cops are unfairly targeting minorities. Both of those agendas are false. Unfortunately, there are crooked cops and thankfully the good cops greatly outnumber them. Captain Walsh said to fix the problem we have to remember what is important.

“Every human being has value. That’s how we fix the problem. Cops and the people of the community both need to realize that whoever you are talking to is special to someone and if we can all realize that, the problem will be solved.” he says.