Why the “F” Word is So Important

Women are taking on the world, one glorious step at a time.

by Emma Dooher, Reporter

The “F” word.

No not that “F” word; get your mind out of the gutter. Feminism, that’s the one. Feminism is often confused as women who see themselves as better than men, not women who are equal to men. Feminism is defined as the advocacy of women’s rights on the basis of the equality of the sexes. Equality, to all extents, is crucial to teach our young generations, but feminism could be one of the best of them all. No one should feel like they are less important or not equal to someone because of their gender; it is absolutely absurd.

“Feminism is something very important to talk about and it is necessary to voice your opinion. I think that men and women are still not treated equally and that it’s important for women to fight for their rights,” says Palo Verde Freshman, Alyssa Hewitt.

This shows that even young women recognize how unequally they are treated and are even bracing themselves for the indignant future.

At the end of the day, feminism is important and must stop being overlooked. It is important to teach young women to respect themselves and to stop living in the shadows of men.”

Being a feminist, as a man or a woman, does not mean that you believe women are better than men. It instead means that you believe women should be able to do the same activities , be able to have the same jobs, be held up to the same standards, be payed the same, and, last but not least, be completely equal to men. Women and men have the same potential, and neither gender should be neglected of their abilities. For example, it is like saying you can’t do a certain job, or pursue a certain career because of your race or nationality. People lose control of themselves when that comes up in subject, but how is it not the same as neglecting a woman to do a “man’s job?” How is it okay for a human being to not be equal to another human being who has the exact same internal organs, who bleeds the same blood?

“Feminism is a good thing that brings awareness to the fact that women and men are treated differently and that we are all equals, but in some situations and places, women aren’t treated as though they are,” says fellow Palo Verde freshman, Victoria Gutierrez.

It is completely unfair to tell a woman she cannot do something because of her gender. It is completely unfair to tell a woman she cannot dress a certain way because it is distracting, inappropriate, or risky. It is completely unfair to tell a woman she cannot post a picture half nude on social media but tell a man it is attractive when he does it. It is absolutely unacceptable to sexualize a woman and say that it’s just a man’s biological nature and that men have evolved to think that way. A lot of people think that women are just put on this Earth for men. They say that women are only for men’s wants and needs or that they’re only here to look pretty for everyone else, but that is not the case. Women are living on this Earth to give creative ideas, provide new information and research, and do the same things men do.  It is not okay for a man to disrespect a woman and tell her she cannot do something, even though she may be more capable of the task than he is. Women have the same empowerment as men, and can fight back just as well as men can; it is not okay to tell anyone they can’t do something.

“Men have overpowered the country for thousands of years, and feminism in moderation won’t do any harm,”  freshman Pedro Sampaio exclaims.

It is obviously true that men have been the hierarchy of our world for centuries, but with women also playing a part of it, it doesn’t go to ruins.

People may believe that all feminists are “feminazis.” Feminazis are radical feminists who take things too far. For example, they initiate crazy protests, start crazy arguments, and don’t realize there is another side to the story.  Society can’t look past them and think that all feminists are insane and that none are rational or reasonable. Some feminists realize that some statements from the feminist community are unreasonable which leads them to develop their own opinions and voice their ideas.

“The message of feminism has gotten lost in all of the politics, and once people start arguing about it, it makes it even worse and people don’t want to listen,” says Palo Verde teacher, Mrs. Christina Ballard.

This shows how someone’s first exposure to feminism may alter their opinion forever. If they don’t dig deep then someone may not realize the truth and only notice the parts highlighted by society. At the end of the day, feminism is important and must stop being overlooked. It is important to teach  young women to respect themselves and to stop living in the shadows of men. Society needs to encourage young girls as they come of age to be independent and to not rely on men for everything, even in marriage. They need to learn, initially; to stand up for themselves, have their own beliefs, and be able to do what they want instead of doing what their husband tells them to do. If even only part of society can stop telling women they aren’t worth it and start telling them they can do it, miraculous things will happen in the world.