Intelligence vs. Education

by Audrey Purciful, Reporter

Commonly, people tend to confuse intelligence and education. This is mostly because the two go hand-in-hand heavily, but they’re very different from each other, in the way that they benefit and have an influence on the lives of others, not just by dictionary definition. In truth, the two can have vastly different effects, from career choices to social interaction from others.
“I believe the difference between intelligence and education stems from the fact that everyone on this planet is intelligent, yet not everyone has an education.” says senior Nick Brascia. “Education is something that some people can afford and some people cannot; whereas intelligence is the ability to learn in which every person on this planet is capable of doing, so that’s why everyone can be book smart and streetsmart, yet not everyone has the luxury of affording to be able to be book smart.”
That would be the best way to explain it really, though it could simply be described as education being what you learned, and intelligence is how one would apply it.
With their similarities, not only is it a battle of not confusing them, but also a frequent argument of which is better and more valuable, seeing as they create a lot of the same effects and benefits.
“Intelligence is more valuable,” says freshman Joseph Gewelber-Williams. “It’s gotten me to a lot of good places and I’ve met a lot of great people because of that. Intelligence has a larger degree of success.”
Intelligence isn’t the only way to be successful, of course. Success has mostly to do with personal drive and motivation, along with the proper education for whichever career a person decides to delve into.
“Education can lead you to achieving some amazing things,” junior David Jacks says. Education, of course, is extremely necessary to how a person lives. Without a proper education, it is practically impossible to get a good job at any point in your life, regardless of how long you work towards it.
“You constantly gain more with education.” Jacks says. “I would definitely prefer to have education over intelligence. You just get a lot more overall knowledge with it.”
While education has most certainly been a keystone to how our society was created and how it functions, intelligence is possibly one of, if not the most needed thing to make it in life. Intelligence allows us to make decisions in our favor, with an ability to make the best possible outcome.
“Education can benefit one when it comes to advancing their careers or even when it comes to survival things like camping, cooking, etc.,” junior Samantha Bell says. “Intelligence allows one to be weary of their surroundings, and makes them able to properly and safely make it around, and it has definitely prevented me from getting punched in the throat a few times. I appreciate what has been taught to me in school, but it doesn’t really benefit my ability to socially and appropriately communicate with others.”
Of course, you cannot have one without the other.  They work with each other, in everyday situations we cannot avoid, all the way throughout our lives. “Honestly, I think both are very important in their own ways. They both teach you something valuable in life,” says senior Tiffanie White.
White is completely correct in that statement. Intelligence and education are both highly invaluable, and many people don’t take the time to think about it, because that is how our world has formed and developed as a society.