We Don’t Need Modern Feminism

by Eli Duncan, Reporter

Feminism has been around since the time of the Ancient Greeks, where women weren’t viewed as equals but as property. In more recent times, the feminist movement in the West was kick-started in Seneca Falls in 1848. The original in the late 19th and early 20th century was to get women the right to vote. This early stage has been called “first-wave feminism”. The next wave was in the 1960’s and 70’s, which was focused on workplace discrimination, gaining access to better paying jobs, and getting equal pay. The third-wave has been going on since the early 1990’s until present day. This wave is trying to gain “gender equality within a currently patriarchal society,” according to everydayfeminism.com.

Feminism was a fantastic cause throughout the 19th and 20th centuries, where women weren’t viewed well and were treated horribly. The idea of feminism is still great and something that I personally identify with: I have and will always want the equal treatment of women. However, the third-wave has devolved into something that feminism wasn’t made to stand for. It’s conception was to have economic, social, and political equality for both genders. Something modern-day feminism has done was made the movement almost strictly female and LGBTQ+ only, verbally attacking men and women who don’t identify with the movement. This new wave has made a “policy” in which to be part of it you must agree with all of it, or you aren’t a real feminist.

Modern feminists have gone attacking Christina Hoff Sommers, who is a feminist herself. Sommers identifies more with the philosophy of a second-wave feminist. She also openly criticizes modern feminism and has received backlash from the community saying that she is not a real feminist, furthering the idea of “you’re with us, or you’re against us.”

A Huffington Post and YouGov joint poll showed that only 20 percent of the American population identified as a feminist, Democrats hold the highest number of feminists at 32 percent of their voters while just 5 percent of Republican voters call themselves feminists. However, according to the same poll, 82 percent of Americans believe that both genders should be equal. Knowing those that are feminists and those that don’t identify as feminists but still want equality, I can say that both groups want the same thing, as do most Americans.

What really plagues modern feminism are the lies that they spread, most famous of which is the “77 cents to dollar”. If that were the case, most businesses could reduce costs by nearly a quarter, as their highest expense is wages. The 77 cents to the dollar isn’t technically false. However, this statistic isn’t comparing job to job, it is comparing the average yearly income of all women and the average yearly income on all men. If the average income of a woman is 61,600 dollars a year and the average income of a man is 80,000 dollars a year, dividing those two would get to the 77 cents to the dollar.

The averages are calculated by taking the all the jobs the men take and all the jobs that women take. Also, it doesn’t account for things like position and hours worked per week.

Men dominate jobs in math and science fields, which pay more. Women take more jobs like social work, which pay less. Taking this into account, the study done by the American Association of University Women used the data above and also took into account the position, education, occupation, and number of hours worked per week and concluded that the actual wage gap is only around 6.6 cent difference, even that study doesn’t take the choices in account.

Everyday men and women make choices that affect their job, and days like the “#DayWithoutWomen”, where thousands of women took off work in a protest will affect their pay. If men had done this, they would be seen as sexist, whereas the women are seen as heroes.

When I say we don’t need feminism, I mean that we don’t need radicalized feminism that hate men and have an “all or nothing” mentality. This movement will always be needed to support equality in the ever growing number list of genders. In a nation like America, where in the Declaration of Independence it states that all men are created equal, a group that promotes equality among everyone will be needed. Feminism needs to go back to its roots and do just that.