The Truth About Puppy Mills

by Erica Rosado and Jake Grosvenor

Puppy mills have been a part of pet owning for years, and it’s an issue that is acknowledged but never corrected. It’s estimated that over two-million puppies are born each year from these puppy mills, and nothing’s being done about this.

For those who don’t know, a puppy mill is a place where dogs are forced into a crate that legally only has to be six inches larger than the dog, and then they are forced to reproduce until they die.

More often than not, these mills do not give dogs an enjoyable life and it’s a disgrace. These dogs are forced to live in cramped areas, without clean water and food, no adequate care, or any decent quality of life. These mills are immoral and they should be illegal, it’s been found that dogs and puppies from these mills are found to be sick and born with issues.

Despite this they are still in business and there is nothing being done to stop this, even worse, many people don’t know that many of those cute dogs in large pet stores are from these mills.

Places like Petland are infamous for getting their dogs from puppy mills, and they are one of the larger pet stores in the nation with over 70 stores nationwide.

So all those Snapchat stories of your friends playing with puppies, are the reason that stores like Petland are still in business.

This is one of the biggest issues to me; we know that these horrible places exist to serve the idea that we need a “purebred dog.” The fact is, there really isn’t a purebred dog; many of those breeds are the result of a cross breed. Labradoodles, Pomskies, and other dogs are a mix of breeds. Paying hundreds to thousands of dollars for a dog is not only illogical, but it’s promoting animal abuse. They’re millions of dogs a year that are killed because they aren’t adopted, just because you needed that “purebred” puppy.

Another issue stemming from the existence of puppy mills is not only do they keep large pet stores, such as Petland, in business, but said pet stores do nothing about it. Simply put, they don’t care about the horrors that dogs endure while in puppy mills; all the stores care about is getting money.

To accomplish this, pet stores glamorize how their puppies are displayed in their stores, by placing them in clear glass cases so consumers can be wooed over by the puppies’ appearances immediately. Not only are the puppy mills immoral for their practices, but the pet stores are also at fault for essentially promoting said puppy mills. They feed the puppy mills’ pockets with money and allow them to continue to torture dogs for their own personal gain.

Both puppy mills and pet stores give no empathy towards these living creatures; all they care about is getting a hefty profit.