Top 5 Musicals You Need to See

by Erica Jane, Reporter

Bored with your spring playlist? Tired of the same three songs playing on the radio? Done with mainstream, indie or underground bands? Have no fear, musicals are here! Ever since the summer of 2015, musicals have trumped today’s hit list. A mixture of harmonies and catchy instrumentals, you’ll have these show tunes glued to you all year!

1. Amélie

Inspired by the 2001 French film, Amélie has smashed into Broadway with an onslaught of positive feedback. Enchantress Phillipa Soo plays Amélie, a stoic and sheltered young woman. She ventures through her lonely life, meeting quirky folks and not so admirable events. “Times Are Hard For Dreamers,” the melodious anthem for Amélie features Soo’s crystal clear voice, booming bass and rhythmic piano; it’ll leave listeners slamming replay!

1.  Waitress

Composed by singer and songwriter Sara Bareilles, Waitress will leave fans hungry for more. Packed with a strong women cast, Waitress tells the story of a small town waitress searching for hope in her life. Songs like, “When He Sees Me,” sung by Orange Is the New Black’s Kimiko Glenn will give you a cavity! Waitress offers a variety of curious, but uplifting voices. The soundtrack is interwoven the storyline gracefully and no one song sounds the same!

1. In The Heights

Looking for a party on a Monday morning? In The Heights, written by the fantastic Lin-Manuel Miranda can do just that! The diffusion of rap and salsa hits through every beat. In The Heights preaches the day-to-day life of Washington Height’s barrio. It follows shop-keeper Usnavi and friends’ life, highlighting the external and internal struggle they all face. Every character is simply loveable! Miranda creates an inseparable relationship between the audience and his characters leaving the crowd electric!

1. Dear Evan Hansen

If you thought high school was a breeze, get ready to hear the tale of Evan Hansen, a teen that suffers from a rocky home and school life and social anxiety. Ben Platt, star of Pitch Perfect raises awareness to society’s taboo topics like mental illness, suicide and drugs. His soft and soothing harmonies accompanied by the heart-wrenching story of the mishaps of high school leaves Dear Evan Hansen top ten on Billboard. If you’re willing to burn through a box of tissues and devote your life for the next week to the hit pop psychology, Dear Evan Hansen is at your door.

1. Hamilton

If you’re lagging behind in US History and for some reason, have no idea who Alexander Hamilton is, it’s your time to shine! You guessed it, Hamilton is a hip-hop sung through musical about America’s Founding Father, Alexander Hamilton. Composed by Lin-Manuel Miranda, Hamilton received sixteen Tony nominations and won eleven, including Best Musical and won the 2016 Grammy Award for Best Musical Theater Album. Hamilton offers a literal play-by-play of Alexander Hamilton’s life from his youth and to his death. The double edged lyrics, powerful chorus of powerful singers and the evident struggle America’s Founding Father faces leaves listeners astonished and restless.