Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 review

The new Guardians of the Galaxy brings a humanity to characters you thought you’d never like, attaching the audience to these characters in one way or another.

by Audrey Purciful, Reporter

Rating: 9/10

Director: James Gunn
Starring: Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Vin Diesel, Bradley Cooper
Release Date: May 5, 2017
MPAA Rating: PG-13

What happens when you give Marvel the money to mess with space? Or when you allow them to do as they wish with CGI and animation? You get the new hit Guardians of the Galaxy movie, which is just as graphically expensive and entertaining as its predecessor.

Just as with any Marvel movie, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 lives up to it’s genre of action and comedy, amazing the audience with astounding effects and a variety of characters, and creating some lovable and despicable personalities.
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 begins with an adorable action montage that cleverly shows credits while displaying toddler-groot dancing around merrily and chasing after birds and bugs, enchanting the younger audience with the stunning computer-generated imagery.

Afterwards, the sequel follows Peter ‘Starlord’ Quill and his troupe as they crash-land on an unknown planet used for filler, and soon come into contact with Quill’s assumed long-lost father, Ego. After Ego convinces Peter to come with him back to his home planet, a mixture of hilarity, chaos, action, and crude jokes continue to emerge, as they do from any Marvel production.
Let’s not forget the romance! With any action movie, there is always the underlying romance that one or the other refuse to admit, and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is no exception. Frustrating the audience with Gamora and Peter dancing around each other, sometimes literally, it’ll have you shouting at them to finally just kiss already.

For all those music lovers out there, Marvel continues to please, bringing back the eighties music displayed in Peter’s walkman, but this time with a new soundtrack that will have you tapping your feet and singing along. Overall, the sound effects are amazing. Marvel didn’t act sparingly on their explosion sounds, either.
And who could forget Groot? In this movie, Groot goes through his toddler stages as he slowly grows up, and completely enraptures the audience with his cute animations and adorable voice and actions, which many would think difficult with Vin Diesel acting as Groot. Groot provides a large comic relief to the movie, all the while making the audience coo and laugh at his mistakes and his voice.
The new Guardians of the Galaxy brings a humanity to characters you thought you’d never like, attaching the audience to these characters in one way or another as they go through the explosions and space-battles.
Overall, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 appeals the to the audience in so many ways, urging a variety of viewers to watch and enjoy with their friends and families. It’s a movie that will give you laughs for a few hours and will make you forget what’s going on around you as you become consumed with the characters within.