“The Sound of Music” warms up for April

Back to Article
Back to Article

“The Sound of Music” warms up for April

Nuns in

Nuns in "The Sound of Music" rehearse a song about Maria in preparation for a run in the Palo Verde Theater that begins the first week of April.

Holly O'Donnell

Holly O'Donnell

Holly O'Donnell

by Holly O'Donnell, Reporter

Get ready for scrupulous dancing, gleeful singing and superior acting: the Von Trapp family is coming to Palo Verde’s theater April 2-4. Young and talented students will perform this 2013-2014 school year’s musical, “The Sound of Music.”

The Palo Verde theatre troupe will put on three shows, Wednesday through Friday of the first week in April . All three captivating shows will start at 6:30 p.m. To attend you can buy your tickets on Showtix.com, which will be either $10, $12 or $15. The musical consists of two acts separated by a 10 minute intermission.

“I think the show will be amazing!” declares junior Kendall Wright, the stage manager of this masterpiece. “Everyone involved in the show, including the actors, techs and directors, work so hard and have so much pride in their work that there is no way the show will be anything less than fantastic! It is a lot of hard work but the end result is always worth it.”

Theatre director Dena Demman is responsible for choosing the musical each year. She announces her choice for the next year’s musical to her theatre class in the last month of school, and it’s often a total surprise for the students.

During three days of auditions on Jan. 8, 9, and 10, over 100 students tried out, including younger children from elementary and middle schools.

“I think the play will turn out really well. The cast is amazingly talented, and I cant wait to see it,” claims freshman Savannah Gooding, who is in one of Mrs. Demman’s theatre classes.

The hopeful auditioners had to perform a vocal as well as a dance audition and a script read-through. It was very important that they showed character and passion as they went through the auditioning process. They also obviously needed the ability to sing, dance and act if they were to receive a main role. However, it was not necessary to be an excellent singer or dancer to be a cast in the show because there were many roles that only required speaking or non-speaking parts as extras.

“I think ‘The Sound of Music’ will turn out great. A lot of hard work and dedication is being put into this play every day for hours and hours,” affirms freshman Megan Capps, another theater student. “Mrs. Demman really does know how to put on a show too. Every show at Palo Verde is an amazing one, and it’s all thanks to her.”

The main characters of the show include Maria Rainer, played by senior Annelise Lipowitz, Captain Von Trapp who is double cast and played by junior Spencer King and senior Alex Goncalves and  Mother Abbess who is played by senior Jenelle Magbutay. The script was written by Russel Crouse and Howard Lindsay with music by Richard Rodgers and lyrics by Oscar Hammerstein II.

On Jan. 13, the same day the cast list was announced, they began rehearsing. Nearly every single day after school from Jan. 13 until opening night on April 2, the cast have rigorously rehearsed their steps, cues and songs. Mrs. Demman began planning even before auditions began, meeting with the school’s choreographer and vocal coach to explain her vision of the show to them.

“I know this year’s play will, having seen the Cinderella play they put on when I was in seventh grade and attending it for choir, will impress and inspire anyone who watches it,” Freshman Marissa Torcasso states.

Some of the props they used were already owned by the theatre from previous productions, and if they don’t own a prop, they will either make it or buy it. Their showcase has collected nearly 100 props and set pieces in preparation for the show. Props include items as simple as a suitcase to set pieces as extreme as multiple pieces of furniture.

“The play will turn out amazing! We have nuns with vocals that are over-the-top good and great actors. I think this is going to be one of the best Palo has ever seen,” says Freshman Cameron Lueck, who was cast as a nun vocalist in the play.

Mrs. Demman, assistant director and senior Tristan Kirkpatrick and stage manager Wright have gone above and beyond to push everyone involved toward making this musical flawless, fabulous and purely entertaining.