Schneidman becomes first lady wrestler at Palo

Junior Hannah Schneidman and freshman Braxton Tonks practice together in preparation for their next match.

Annaka Cieri

Annaka Cieri

by Annaka Cieri, Reporter

“You wrestle like a girl!” isn’t a bad phrase to junior Hannah Schneidman, female wrestler.

“I joined wrestling because I saw my friends doing it, and it looked fun. I found out I would be the first girl on the team ever to last through a season and to make varsity! I also wanted to keep the tradition going because my father was a 3-year state champion wrestler. Plus, it is something that makes me different and unique because not many girls do this sport!” Schneidman said.

Schneidman is the first and only female wrestler on Palo Verde’s varsity wrestling team but is unequivocally not afraid of this fact.

“When I joined the sport, I understood guys won’t go easy on me just because I am a girl,”  said Schneidman. “If anything they go harder because they don’t want to lose to a girl. But neither my coaches nor teammates treat me differently because I’m a girl. I get treated the same, but I get pushed harder and take things easier because I have a future going to girls state in wrestling.”

Schneidman has become a very able-bodied athlete, and she is currently undefeated in the girls’ division.

“As a teammate you couldn’t ask for more. Although she wasn’t competing due to an injury, she was still supporting our team by coming to most of the varsity events,” said junior Josh Pine, a varsity wrestler.

While it is true that some students don’t think Schneidman should be included on the team, she has shown them why she should.

“I don’t believe in preferential treatment for a girl if she decides to participate in a male sport,” said senior wrestler Tyler Dinsmore.

With a strong impetuous drive for being an athlete, Schneidman has also participated in other sports and has proven that while wrestling is a male-dominated sport, it is not a male sport, nor is any other activity that requires such strength and pushes the body to its limits.

“I did softball and aerial acrobatics and a little bit of hockey before wrestling,” Schneidman said.

Schneidman pushes her body to its maximum potential every day and endures a lot during tournaments. She has even been pushed down into the splits before winning a match.

“My second tournament I went to,” Schneidman said, “there was an all-girls bracket, and each girl I wrestled I pinned within 30 seconds of the match and took first place, and currently I’m undefeated in girls’ division. With my flexibility I ended up being able to do the splits to get out of cradles and other pinning positions.”

Schneidman has been dexterous this past wrestling season. While being only a junior, she is bent on getting into college wrestling, saying she would either want to join Iowa’s or Michigan State’s girls wrestling team.

“Her matches in the girl division are going really well! As for work, she has the same workload as the guys and does what they do in practice,” Coach Nemchek said.

Schneidman is a vigorous athlete and validates that girls can and will do anything.