Kowalski rolls in a state individual title for women’s bowling

Junior Natallie Kowalski bowls a 632 series in the State Individual Title  against five other girls.

Junior Natallie Kowalski bowls a 632 series in the State Individual Title against five other girls.

courtesy of Lifetouch

courtesy of Lifetouch

by Michaela Jackson, Sports Editor

Inspired by her parents, junior Natallie Kowalski won State Individual Title for bowling. In the individual tournament five other girls competed for the title, and whoever had the highest series would win. After three intense rounds, Kowalski claimed the title with an overall score of 632.

“It felt amazing to accomplish what I have always wanted to do, and that is to win state. Not too many people can say they won a high school state championship, and I got the privilege and honor to say that I have. Practice makes habit, and hard work does in fact pay off,” said Kowalski.

During the first round, Kowalski scored a 234, then the second round she became nervous which resulted in 172.

“I began to get a little nervous in the second round, but then the last game I got it together and found my spot,” said Kowalski. “I gained confidence in myself to end up striking out and bowling 226 in the last round.”

Mr. Read and Kowalski  calculated the other bowlers’ scores, then she realized that she had won because they would not be able to beat her in their last frame.

After hard work and countless hours of practicing Kowalski was able to claim her championship title and design her state ring. On one side of the ring it will have her first name, Natallie, with a panther below it. On the other side it will be her final series score 632 with a bowling ball hitting pins underneath the score along with the famous Palo green stone with the words “state champion” around it.

“I got my name engraved on the inside because I wanted to go with a more basic ring than the big flashy one,” said Kowalski.

Kowalski has one more season ahead of her before her high school career comes to an end. She has one more shot at the individual title and believes she can claim it once again.

“My dream is to claim the state title again. My goal is to place in the top 3 next year, but I do believe that I can do it again. Actually, my boyfriend used to bowl for Centennial, and he won state individual for bowling twice in a row. I want to do it just like him. Next year is my last year, and I want to make it the best. I just want to have fun and focus at the same time and just enjoy what I have now,” said Kowalski.

Bowling runs in the family. Kowalski had been bowling for five years, and her parents are bowlers as well. They encouraged her to bowl and helped her every step of the way.

“They are great supporters,” said Kowalski.