The Sci-Fi Video Game Club welcomes all gamers

Back to Article
Back to Article

Mr. Dervan, adviser for Sci-Fi Video Game Club, and seniors Dillon Powell, president of the club, and Jake Rainey look at the games on their Nintendo 3DS.

Sam Manlangit

Sam Manlangit

Sam Manlangit

by Sam Manlangit, Reporter

In Palo Verde, there is never a shortage of groups that bring students from different parts of the school into one room of common interests. From Creative Writing Club to the Chess Club, the school has an assortment choices for a student with extra time to pick from. Sometimes one would just want to sit and lounge with friends against of Smart Board of video games or talk about the latest episode of Doctor Who. Fortunately for that type of person, Palo offers Sci-fi Video Game Club every Wednesdays after school.

Founded by Mr. Dervan, Sci-fi Video Game Club has connected dozens of students around the school to participate in gut-wrenching competitive video games or interesting conversations about science fiction media without the bickering of pretentious students who think they’re popular or cool.

“It’s a place where you can go and feel safe,” said freshman and club goer Sean Francis.

Within the safe walls of Dervan’s classroom, the members of Sci-fi Video Game Club gather in multiple types of groups. Some prefer just sitting with friends and discussing about ‘what if moments’  in stories or ‘fandoms’, while others find pleasure on the surface of a board game. Most adore the video game part of the club with a fiery passion.

When walking in the club’s room in the height of its session, you could guarantee you would walk in an intense game of Super Smash Brothers, where its players would madly blast their excitement on their recent kills. During these moments, faces tighten in pressure and taunts could be heard, mostly about the opposing gamer’s mother. Although these events do get quite loud and often times crazy, the players, whether they’re the winner or the loser, would always make it a point to shake each other’s hands in sincere respect.

When asked about how he felt about the members, Francis said, “Well, 98 percent of them are really cool.”

The club manages to fulfill its purpose of fun. With video games, science fiction media, newly delivered pizzas, and of course, good company, the club will have difficulty in finding nothing to do.

“I feel that it is a very fun thing,” said freshman Madison Shipley.  “Considering a lot of people have the same fandom and video games interests.”

And where there is good company, good adventures and memories tend to follow. When the members of the club aren’t gaming their way through the session, they meet people they’ll never think of encountering in the whole of their high school life. It’s like the Breakfast Club, but with more Monty Python references.

“I’ve been in video game club since day one,” said senior and club-goer Austin Jackson. “I’ve loved it since then, because I made some amazing friends, hilarious moments and sci-fi and video games… what’s not to like about that?”