Adele: “Hello” single review

A screenshot from Adele's music video

Courtesy of Vevo

A screenshot from Adele's music video "Hello"

by McKenna Topps, Co-Entertainment Editor

Title: “Hello” single from the album 25

Record Label: XL Recordings

Release Date: October 23, 2015

Rating: 9/10

Adele is back! In 2011 Adele Laurie Blue Adkins released her famous album “21,” which had the songs “Someone Like You,” “Set Fire To The Rain” and “Rolling In The Deep.”  With this she gained many awards such as seven Grammy’s (one being album of the year) and two Billboard Music Awards (top pop album and top billboard 200).

Though with fame still roaring in her ears, fans were caught with surprise when the artist announced on her website in June 2012 that she was pregnant with her boyfriend, Simon Konecki’s child. Her only song released after this information was “Skyfall” for a movie of the same name, set to release Oct. 5,  2012, and a few days later on Oct. 19, she gave birth to her son Angelo.

After this, it seemed Adele had fled the stage. Her music career went dark and the lovers of her music were left wondering where she went. Now, three years later on Oct 22, Adele releases her single “Hello.”

Known for well written lyrics, this song reignites her theme of beautiful sorrows. “Hello” talks about a broken love affair, long in the past and how it still seems to haunt her. It includes deep lyrics that strike the heart and make a connection with the listener.

Not only are the lyrics the cause of this, but also Adele’s voice. She moves the listener with each note, and she reaches each one with ease. Her clean cut wording makes the song easy to enjoy and her voice is familiar and welcoming; therefore even more accepting when listening.

The music video that accompanied this song was adequate. Yes, the song was wonderful, but the video was a bit off. The main thing that was displeasing throughout was the green hue of it, similar to her black and white video of “Someone Like You” in 2011. It added another off pigmented video to list. Though it was for the artistic standpoint, green isn’t always good.

Another little problem was her lip syncing. At the beginning, it was painstakingly obvious because one can tell she fell behind in the lyrics. While this caused a bit of annoyance, it improved immensely as the video went on.

The flashbacks enhanced the enjoyment of the music video nonetheless. Small glimpses of a sweet love that clouds the mind was wonderful in the video and gave the song a physical form. Even the small details were touched, and it was much appreciated.

Adele has the possibility of coming back into the limelight. “Hello” is just a simple peek at what she has in store for listeners, for her new album “25” is planned to be released in November of this year. Now all us fans have to do is wait for more.