Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice review

by McKenna Topps and Tayler Jones

Rating: 7/10

Director: Zack Snyder

Starring: Ben Affleck, Gal Gadot, Henry Cavill, Jesse Eisenberg

MPAA Rating: PG-13

MV5BNTE5NzU3MTYzOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTM5NjQxODE@._V1_SX640_SY720_

The unanswered question DC Comics fans have been arguing about since the beginning of time has finally been answered. Who would win in a fight:  Batman or Superman? The fight between The Dark Knight and The Man of Steel is finally released to theaters in the movie, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice on March 25.

This epic battle consisted of not only Batman (Ben Affleck) and Superman (Henry Cavill), but also the famous Amazonian warrior, Wonder Woman (Gal Gadot).  The audience automatically didn’t hesitate to cheer once the famous female warrior showed herself on the big screen.

When it was proclaimed that Affleck would play Batman, it was questioned if he would be able to properly portray such a melancholic character  in a way that would please the lovers of the said antihero. It was a nice realization  that Affleck brought along a deep voiced, serious and troubled personality to the movie.

The Man of Steel presented by Henry Cavill showed off his decent acting skills. Although he had the Superman hair and body on point, his personality was too out of character. Usually, Clark Kent is the hopeful country boy who only sees the good in others. During this new cinema hit, Kent seemed to mainly just care about Lois Lane, instead of everyone.  It seemed his character didn’t exactly represent what Superman’s morals are, and what he stands for: hope.

The villain of the movie was the best seen on the big screen this past year. Though this is the case,  it seemed to not fit the comic book Lex Luthor that is so adored.  Lex Luthor, played by Jesse Eisenberg, was a believable crazy, sadistic, psychotic lunatic, which does not fit into the suave of the Lex Luthor character,  but more so holding the oddities of a Joker-like villain.

The Joker that is so adored would have been a better fit for Eisenberg, but because it was such an interesting villain (beside the point that it was nothing like the comics) one could not have asked for a better actor to play someone we all just love to hate. Eisenberg’s acting was by far  the one of the most believable things witnessed in this movie, proving  his acting skills as superior.

The trailer, however, was far too revealing. There were not enough surprises, since the biggest piece, the reveal that Wonder Women would be  joining the fight, was shown even before the movie was released. This would have been a much better reveal if it had been not clearly shown in the teaser trailer. If the trailer had not been so detailed in showing the best pieces of the movie, it would have been much more enjoyable.

Overall, the movie was a good view, but there just was not enough interesting and mind-blowing scenes to keep the viewers entertained for the whole two and a half hours. If there were more complex events, it would have been rated on a higher audience perspective.