Marvel v. DC

A pile of classic superhero comics coming from both DC and Marvel

via. Pixabay

via. Pixabay

by McKenna Topps and Tayler Jones

Dating back to the very first Marvel comic, titled “Marvel’s Comics” and the very first DC comic, “The Phantom,” there has been an ongoing war between which superhero label was better.  Most lean toward the side of Marvel, due to it having more light-hearted action.

Most people believe Marvel is the better of the two competitors because of the relatable characters that have a more human touch to them, while some like DC more because it holds more  imagination and more possibilities.

From this point it should be seen that the belief is that Marvel is better. First off, there are more superheroes because of the various superhero groups. We’ve got Spiderman, the Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy,  X-men and the Fantastic Four.  While DC, on the other hand, only has the Justice league and the Suicide Squad.

“DC’s only cool characters are Batman and Superman, while Marvel has the characters Deadpool, the Avengers,  X-Men and even the Agents of Shield,”said junior Rachel Kim

Marvel has more realism than DC comics have as well. Marvel heroes include Iron Man (Tony Stark), a snarky billionaire genius;  Hawkeye (Clint Barton) and Black Widow (Natasha Romanoff/Romanova) two characters with a shady pasts and Captain America (Steve Rogers) an average joe that becomes a super over time. These characters are all realistic by their complex backgrounds; these are characters people can connect with on a personal level.

Though Marvel holds all of these characteristic for DC, it’s  rare for people to relate. What realism does some alien from Krypton hold? How would people be able to connect with a hero that can’t be damaged by bullets? No one, because it’s unrealistic. It’s impossible to believe that a weird purple alien, from a fictional planet can give a normal guy a ring that turns him into a superhero. People like Romanoff and Barton from Marvel went through hardships and years of training to become master assassins. It represents the work and hardships they went through to achieve their goals.

Although, there are some characters (but not many), that makes it difficult to connect with on a personal level that Marvel owns. Such as the X-men, who are able to have a genetic mutation with extreme superpowers. DC has only a couple characters people can connect with, such as Batman and his psychotic nemeses (Joker, Harley Quinn, Penguin, Riddler, Catwoman etc).

The villains that are in the DC comics are always good, holding a distinct level of horror, yet it is good it lacks comedic relief, thus making the overwhelming seriousness of the matter unbearable . Marvel has more comic relief, such as the witty comedy of Tony Stark, even in a battle, like his reference about shawarma in the first Avengers. There was only a micro part of comic relief in the new movie, “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.”

Marvel’s diverse culture and realism will always, for years to come, continue to hold over  DC. While DC may have its perks, it seems that in the battle between superheroes, Marvel reigns supreme.