Summerlin Shooter Kills One and Stands Off Police

The Neighborhood Where the Shooting took place

by Jake Grosvenor, Opinions Editor

At 5:00 P.M., a call was received by the Las Vegas Metro of gunshots and a dead woman at 2100 Henniker Way. The often peaceful neighborhood became the hot spot of choppers, cruisers, SWAT cars and fire engines as a night of suspense unraveled.
It started with a call from someone who has yet to give their name, saying they heard a loud bang, and came out to find their neighbor dead on the front lawn. The police were then called to the scene.
Metro arrived and found the dead woman and the shooter, a middle-aged man with the gun to his head, not willing to come to Metro peacefully. For almost three hours the man sat in the front of the home and kept the gun to his head, refusing to go. Not before long there were helicopters in the sky circling the area, ensuring that he had nowhere to run.
For the neighbors and surrounding communities , the helicopters were a dead giveaway that something was wrong. With the constant circling and loud motors, soon everyone was curious to see what all the ruckus was about.
Shortly after the SWAT became involved, more than an hour of trying to work the suspect had failed. SWAT cars filled the streets and driveways, and the nearby houses were evacuated. For those not too close to be in danger, some were able to see what was going on.
Bonnie Graney, a resident in Bel-Air Estates said, “I thought ‘it’s happening again.’ We’ve had a lot of police incidents around lately; there was an armed robbery in the same neighborhood not long ago.”
Mrs.Graney was able to see SWAT and police from her backyard.
With so little known and only rumors to go on, some people became worried of what was happening. It was assumed it was bad since evacuations were in place for those nearby.
“They evacuated the houses around the house with the suspect. At first I thought he may be running.” But after a news conference was held and they said they had trapped him, Mrs. Graney expressed how she “felt better.”
At around 6:00 P.M. the SWAT team had completely taken over, but the night was far from over.
For another two hours helicopters were circling around, and everyone on scene was trying to apprehend the suspect. The man refused to come out and give himself up. With the man on the floor, gun to his head, there weren’t many options for authorities.
After another two hours they were finally able to take the man into custody. It is unknown as of right now why he killed the woman, or what his relationship with her was. Luckily, no one else was injured that night and he was taken away.
After the three hours, it finally came to a stop and the residents of Hillpointe and all surrounding neighborhoods were able to find peace and calm as the man was taken into custody and everything was back to the way it was.