Panther’s Take a Trip to Hogwarts for Homecoming Week

Fight on! The mighty Junior Gryffindors cheer and chant as their classmates perform

by Sedona Goodbar, Features Editor

For Palo Verde’s 2016-2017 Homecoming, Panthers took a train from Platform 9 ¾ to Hogwarts for a week of wizardly fun. Palo Verde students voted “Harry Potter” as their theme for this years homecoming. Palo Verde’s classes were split up into four houses; Hufflepuff for Palo’s freshman, Ravenclaw for the sophomores, Gryffindor were assigned to the juniors and finally our seniors were given Slytherin.

To kick off our “Harry Potter” week, Monday started with students dressed up in their laziest, out-of-date pajamas. This day was, fittingly, known as “Lazy Muggle Monday.” During lunch, the lazy muggles were pressured out of their comfort zone and played some jump-rope.

On Tuesday, Panther’s took to supporting their favorite teams for “Quidditch Team Tuesday.” Students were given volleyballs and a net to test their skill on the court to prove which team reigned supreme in a fierce game of Volleyball.

Wednesday, our Panther’s transformed into noble wizards wearing cloaks, house (Gryffindor, Slytherin, Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw) shirts, wielding wands and wore battle scars on their foreheads for “You’re a Wizard Day.”  During lunch, Palo students witnessed a high intensity “wand battle” between Slytherin’s, Draco Malfoy, and of course Gryffindor’s one-and-only, Harry Potter.

On Thursday, Palo Verde had our rebellious teenage friends Fred and George roaming around school as students chose a friend and became their twin for “Fred and George; Twin Day.” Thursday’s lunch-time activity consisted of a quick and difficult game of Quidditch using ping pong balls and paddles.

The week ended on Friday with Palo’s wizards wearing their class colors and enjoying our annual Homecoming assembly in Hogwarts, or the gym to our muggle friends out there. Each class, or house, was assigned a specific color to show their pride; Freshman showed off their best yellow attire, sophomores wore blue, juniors sported red and seniors went green.

Palo Verde’s “Harry Potter” assembly consisted of many performances by our always spirited cheer team, along with our extraordinary dance team and even our small, yet powerful, Hip Hop Squad. Following these performances some of our fellow “professors” here at Hogwarts got in on the action and debuted for their students quite the attention-grabbing dance. During the assembly, students also were able to participate in a lighting round of Kahoot featuring seven questions all about, you guessed it; Harry Potter himself. Student Council put out quite a bit of effort for this year’s Homecoming, and many of the students responded well and enjoyed the Hogwarts scenery.

“I personally don’t care for Harry Potter very much, but student council tried really hard, and it showed, people who try hard, fly hard, so good job Student Council!” says senior Jonathan Pina.