Harry Potter and The Cursed Child review

by Hailey Rodis, Co-Entertainment Editor

harry_potter_and_the_cursed_child_special_rehearsal_edition_book_coverAuthor: JK Rowling, Jack Thorne, John Tiffany

Publisher: Scholastic Inc.

Published: July 31st, 2016

Rating: 7/10

The Harry Potter franchise is known all around the world to many different people, from the biggest penthouse in New York to the smallest towns and people. To keep the experience fresh for fans,  every year author  JK Rowling releases something new. This fall was no exception, as she debuted the script of the new London play in her book, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child.

The play includes many settings that will make fans of the original series nostalgic, such as  Platform 9¾ at King’s Cross Station or the Sorting Hat Ceremony on the first day at Hogwarts. This new work features the next generation of wizards, including the children of Harry Potter and Ginny Weasley, Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger, as well as those of some characters who are not so well liked by readers, such as Draco Malfoy.

While the play carries the name Harry Potter in its title, it is actually about his youngest son, Albus Severus. While his older brother, James Sirius, fits more into the image of  what everyone would think the child of Harry Potter would be like, Albus is not predictable and nothing like his father.  

While Albus is teased and ignored for not being the great Potter as his brother seems to be, he finds friendship in Scorpius Malfoy. Albus’ first three years at Hogwarts go by in a blur, with only a couple of scenes featured in each year, and extremely annoying aspect of the book if you ask me. The storyline finally becomes expanded right before Albus’ fourth year of school.

The night before leaving for Hogwarts, Albus becomes angry with his father, and that is the turning point of the plot. He decides, while pulling Scorpius along with him, that he will try to correct one of the many mistakes his father made when he was fighting the Dark Lord. To do this, Albus  must use a time turner, a device introduced to fans  in the third instalment of the Harry Potter franchise,  Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, although the tool was only briefly used.

While there are many new personalities featured in the play, many characters all fans love are included or at least spoken about. Among these favorites are Professer McGonagall and Neville Longbottom. While the characters of the series are all so easy to love, that is not necessarily true for those in the newest Harry Potter installment.

The hardships of being a teenager are apparent in the lives of Albus and Scorpius in a different aspect than  what Harry had faced. They both hope to not be like their fathers, while still making them proud. This aspect is overused and a cliche of exactly how one would expect the son of Harry Potter to be like. He and many other characters sit and complain about everything.

The plot line is confusing and contradicts a lot of what had happened in the seven book series. While the plot of the play focuses on the use of time travel, there may be too much of it, seeing as that the boys travel through time on three different occasions. It’s one thing to go back in time to save someone you love in one shot, but going back three times to fix the same problem? Maybe he shouldn’t have but in at all if he couldn’t do it the first time.

Overall, the play is not bad, just disappointing. Many fans were hoping for more references to the first seven books while still being original. The storyline does not come into full effect until the ending of the play. Many of the scenes featured in the play were not needed and while some did stick out, they could have easily been expanded more upon in such scenes than those that were just there for fill. J.K Rowling did a decent job on her new generation, but ultimately can’t top the masterpiece she’s already created.