Women’s Volleyball Celebrates Senior Night

Seniors Nickelle Fleming, Kanani Fafard and Jalyn Miller stand with their loved ones during the senior night game on Oct. 27

Courtesy of Faryn Duncan

Courtesy of Faryn Duncan

by Jared Feldman, Reporter

On Oct. 27, the Palo Verde varsity women’s volleyball team played their annual senior night game.
In the first set Palo tried their hardest, but Shadow Ridge prevailed with a score of 15-25.
The second set started off with a bunch of out-of-bounds calls against both teams. The entire set, the two teams were neck-and-neck as the score was constantly going back and forth for the teams. With the game close and coming down to the final points, Shadow Ridge pulled away with a 23-25 win.
Set three, Palo found themselves back against the wall needing a set win, which they fought hard and got. Palo’s players such as junior Jacque Fields and senior Nickelle Fleming brought their A-game with amazing blocks, leading to Palo Verde points.
The fourth set, Palo came out very in sync with one another which lead to their dominance of this set. This set was full of great blocks, spikes and out-of-bounds calls and ended with Palo winning 25-17.
With Palo winning the last two sets to tie it up, that meant we were heading to a fifth and final tie-breaker set. This set went back and forth for the most part with both teams putting it all out there to get their team the win but Shadow Ridge pulled through with a final score of 9-15.
It was a well fought senior night game overall, and the seniors enjoyed their appreciation nonetheless. They were honored with flowers, pictures and teary-eyed walk down the court with their parents.
Jalyn Miller has been playing volleyball since her freshman year and she doesn’t have plans to play in college.
“Playing for Palo these past four years has been such a fun and great experience. I’ve had the opportunity to play in several positions on the court over the past few years and it’s really helped me to recognize that volleyball is a team sport,” says Miller.
Nickelle Fleming has been playing since seventh grade. Although she’s not sure what college she’ll end up at, she hopes to continue on in college anyway.
“[Volleyball at Palo] has definitely had its ups and downs, but overall it’s been great. The team and our coaches are very supportive and have helped me grow a lot as a player,” says Fleming.
Kanani Fafard hasn’t decided where she’ll be playing just yet but has offers on the table but with concerns about being far away from home. She’s been been playing for the past five years.
The seniors have contributed much to the team over the years and will be missed as they move on to bigger and better things.