Panthers Proudly Present: One Acts 2017

by Cole Greenberg, Senior Reporter

On Jan. 10 and 11, Palo Verde theater students put on their student-directed One Act plays for parents, family, and fellow students.

There were six individual plays, each directed by a senior who has been in theater for all four years.

The first night showcased The Last of Sherlock Holmes, directed by Alexandria Truelson, A Funny Way of Showing It, directed by Heaven Akmal, and Simply Cinderella, directed by Alexa Williams. Truelson brought the classic duo of Sherlock and Dr. Watson to life, as the audience gets a look into the typical life of the pair.

“One Acts is always amazing because the casts are much smaller than the musical and straight play, so the cast is closer and the notes are more direct,” said sophomore Maile Onsaga, who starred as Dr. Watson.

Next, in William’s play, she got to take one of her favorite stories as a child, Cinderella, and put it on stage. The under-appreciated Cinderella looks to get up off the ground with the help of Fairy Godmother, repeatedly mistaken as a giant moth.

Though The Last of Sherlock Holmes and Simply Cinderella took on stories of familiar characters with witty comedy, Akmal decided to tackle a different subject matter in A Funny Way of Showing It.

In the play, Michelle is dating Ryan, star player of the football team, but she refuses to acknowledge and accept that she’s a victim of teen dating violence. Michelle blames herself for making Ryan mad, while he says that he’s got to play “alpha male.” The play follows the two as they confront the reality of their situation, opening doors for dialogue on the topic long after the curtain falls. In her director’s biography, Akmal included suicide, drug and alcohol abuse, and RAINN hotlines play, encouraging both discussion and prevention.

The night’s blend of both education and entertainment encouraged the audience to come back on Wednesday with even more attendees.

The following night, an energetic crowd filled the theater, ready to have fun and laugh.

Lily Scarbrough’s Almost Heaven started the night off on a great note, taking place in “Almost Heaven”, where you are required to pass a final exam in order to get to the real deal. Following was Waiting for Lucy, directed by Chisom Okoye.

“If anyone knew anything about me, they would that I’m kind of a gossip, and this show basically embodies that – cheating, making up, and breaking up,” says Okoye.

Not only was the play a hit for the audience on Wednesday, but Waiting for Lucy was additionally selected to represent Palo Verde at their Regional Festival Competition.

To conclude the evening, Reeyana Singh’s Good Cop, Bad Cop took the stage, garnishing up tons of sidesplitting laughter. The play centers on two rookie detectives trying to catch a mysterious menace who was been erratically switching street signs. With the largest cast of all the One Acts, the performers kept delivering comical moments, ending the night with fun.

With much hard work from all the students that participated to make the production happen, it undeniably paid off.

“For the audience, it’s a ray of different stories and a different type of entertainment,” Onsaga later said. “For the actors, you get to know kids you didn’t know before, and since it’s student-directed, you get to know what your fellow peers can do.”