Miley Cyrus’ “Malibu” Single Review

by Erica Jane, Reporter

“Malibu?” More like Mali-bye. As the days get longer and the sun gets brighter, everything from schoolwork to music seems to repeat itself. Just like Miley’s new single, Malibu, it gets tiring. Seeming to mature from her robust personality, Miley moves on from “23” and “We Can’t Stop,” two songs that praise the adventurous life of a party-goer. Struck with the same four chords, quick tempo and sickly sweet lyrics, “Malibu” is anything but a musical masterpiece. It’s endearing, peppy and radio worthy, though nothing out of the ordinary.  It’s definitely not the return her fans were anticipating.

The song kicks off with, “I never came to the beach, or stood by the ocean.” The lyric alone is awkward. The repetitive chords that create the uneven harmony distracts listeners, let alone fail to convey the ‘mellow’ tone the song was meant to give. And like any other radio praised song, the chorus is all glitter and gold; it’ll be stuck in your head the for the next four weeks. “But here I am, next to you / The sky’s more blue in Malibu / Next to you in Malibu / Next to you.”

Given, the song is cute, but it’s bland. Months and months of a bold persona and bolder songs, Cyrus returns with a generic pop single that screams the simplicity of her re-engagement. “We watched the sun go down as we were walking / I’d spent the rest of my life standing here talking.” Really? Could it get staler than that? It does, though, it really does. The next lines feel like deja vu; she sings about the beach, how her newfound love saved her and how everything is perfect in Malibu. If Cyrus truly wanted to step away from her naive, young musician shell, “Malibu” was not the single to release with. I digress, however, “Malibu” does have its perks. Like every other Billboard hit, it’s definitely easy to listen to. It’s fun to sing along to in the car, nearly ideal for road trips and watching the rising sun with your significant other.

What “Malibu” does not cater for is originality. After five or so times of listening to “Malibu,” the song gets exhausting and obnoxious. It’s the epitome of a flop and you can say that this isn’t going on my personal Maliqueue.