The Money Fight of 2017

by Eli Duncan, Opinions Editor

The perfect record. That’s what was on the line for 40-year-old American boxer Floyd Mayweather, Jr. when he accepted the challenge from the 29-year-old Irish mixed martial artist Conor McGregor. The superfight, rightfully nicknamed “The Money Fight,” garnered at least 500 million dollars with  Floyd “Money” Mayweather and Conor “The Notorious” McGregor, each getting over 100 million dollars each.

McGregor stayed on top of the first three rounds, showing that even in his first professional boxing bout, he can hold his own. McGregor landed hard hit to Mayweather during the opening rounds of the 31 minute fight. “Money” Mayweather seemed to be showing his old age during the first three rounds.

“Our gameplan was to let him shoot all his heavy shots early and then take him out at the end stretch,” Mayweather stated during the post fight interview.

Though McGregor was the better fighter in the opening rounds, Mayweather showed why he’s remained undefeated over his illustrious 21 year career inside the boxing ring. Landing power punch after power punch, all while keeping the young UFC fighter at a distance, Mayweather kept command of the remaining seven rounds.

McGregor seemed tired, even going as far as to have to lean against the ropes to keep himself upright. His longest fight before this had been only 25 minutes, as UFC championship matches are five rounds with five minutes each. The Saturday night super fight lasted around 31 minutes, well over what the UFC star is used to.

The wobbly fighter finally succumbed to Mayweather’s brute force and smart boxing in the tenth round of the entertaining match, with the official call being a technical knockout. McGregor won rounds one through three and then round eight, Mayweather got rounds four through seven and then nine and ten.

“It was an entertaining fight and was definitely better than Mayweather’s previous fights. Mayweather was more aggressive which made it more fun to watch [and] McGregor was also an exciting opponent for Mayweather.” says Palo Verde junior Anthony Wojcik, who was pulling for McGregor to win.

Veteran and hall of fame referee, Robert Byrd, officiated the fight and called the fight when he saw that McGregor could hardly stand on his own. On top of that, he could hardly hold his hands up to throw jabs or defend himself.  Byrd deemed this as reason enough to call the fight.

With that calling, “Money” Mayweather improved his already historical 49-0 record to a record setting 50-0, beating Rocky Marciano’s 49-0 record. With the new record, Mayweather officially confirmed he is retiring from the combat sports world. Still young, McGregor will return to the UFC to continue his reign as poster child there, but his boxing career is uncertain.

“It was a pretty good fight. I enjoyed watching it, it was better than the previous fight. For McGregor’s first boxing match, it impressed me. He didn’t really stand a chance against Mayweather.” remarks junior Saad Amir, pulling for the reigning champion, Mayweather.

Both fighters ended this event on a classy note, praising each other for their talent as fighters and the challenge that each brought to the table. With that ending, the Money Fight concluded with both fighters going their own way. Without a rematch in sight, the Conor McGregor and Floyd Mayweather rivalry is taking a break while McGregor hunts for his next prey in the UFC world.