Homecoming Game Highlights: Palo takes on Arbor View

by Chandler Patrick, Editor-in-Chief

On Friday, Oct. 6, the Palo Panthers took on the Arbor View Aggies in the annual Homecoming game. Despite a loss of 7-27, the game was still a memorable one, with intricate floats at halftime and a full student section.

The game started with Arbor in possession, but was quickly followed by a Palo interception, where the panthers quickly worked their way up to the fourth yard line. Within the first two minutes of the game, Palo had put seven points on the board.

Arbor quickly received the return, running the length of the field for a follow-up touchdown. Despite a call of unsportsmanlike conduct on the play, they received the touchdown points and the extra kick.

Palo’s defense proved slippery with the score tied 7-7, letting the Aggies’ offense to slip through their grip. With another 24-yard run, Arbor View scored again, but faltered on the extra point. It became a battle for the remainder of the first half, with Palo stopping Arbor from a field goal and catching an interception with seconds left. The half ended on a still note, with the score resting at 7-13 while students prepared for the parade.

The freshmen came bounding out with the “freshmen treehouse” and a tarzan theme; the sophomores with a dangerous dinosaur and “jurassic Palo” theme; the juniors with an Indiana Jones theme, complete with a gorilla; and lastly, the seniors came out with a “Seniors of the Caribbean” theme, where the cannons fired actual smoke. The seniors were announced as the winning float, having already been crowned for best hallway decorations.

Following the floats on convertible, fancy cars were homecoming court and royalty. Homecoming king and queen were announced as Megan Raffety and Mitchel Olson, who gladly accepted their crowns with honor.

The second half commenced, but slowly and with little to no action for most of the third quarter. It was mainly back-and-forth until Arbor scored again from the 10-yard line and kicked a valid extra point. The score raised to 7-20.

The fourth quarter was filled with aggressive plays from both teams, lots of flags, and with both teams showing heart. The score, however, remained in favor of Arbor View, who scored one last time in the last two minutes of the game. The score solidified at 7-27.

“[The homecoming game] is different because that’s when all the past players come out to watch our game and see how we’re doing during the season. It’s special because we want to show them that we’re just as good or even better than they were. [The game] makes us want to win even more,” says senior Chamere Thomas.