Vegas Victory in the First Golden Knights Game

by Hope Freeland, Senior Editor

On Friday, the Vegas Golden Knights played their first ever regular season game against the Dallas Stars in Dallas, TX and surprised everyone when they won. Since the Knights are a new team, many fans and hockey fanatics thought that the team would not be good this season  and would not win many games.

As the game began, the few Knights fans that had traveled to Dallas to see the game were not expecting a win. Many thought that the game would have ended in a shutout.

Before the game started, the Stars players skated out while their dedicated fans cheered in excitement. The Stars then went and stood behind the Knights while there was a moment of respect for the Las Vegas shooting victims and the National Anthem was sung.

The first period was fast paced and each team gave it their all. Each team made multiple attempts to score, yet the goalies managed to block each time. Knights player Jonathan Marchessault received the first penalty of the season for roughing, which stated a fight.

During the second period, Tyler Seguin scored the first goal of the game for the Stars. Dallas fans went crazy since this was their first goal of the season. Knights still gave it their all especially since they were now losing. The Knights appeared to have scored their first goal yet the play was examined by the referees and the videos showed that the puck had been stopped when the goalie had fallen back on it.

Within the first few minutes of the third period, Stars goalie Ben Bishop had to sit out the rest of the game after a Knights player accidently hit Bishop in the mask with the puck; this hit to Bishop’s  face resulted in an injury and he was taken out of the game. Kari Lehtonen then took over as goalie for the remainder of the game.

James Neal scored both the tying goal and the winning goal and the Vegas fans went crazy. The last few minutes had Vegas fans on the edge of their seats anxious to see if they would really win. With a timeout called by the Stars in the last minute of the game they last tried to strategize and even took out their goalie to put in a another player in hopes of scoring again.

The stadium remained shocked when the final buzzer ran out and the game was over. The final score was 2-1.  While  the Stars fans were upset because they lost, they were also happy for the Knights. The Knights even won their second game on Saturday against the Arizona Coyotes. Las Vegas is shocked and overjoyed that their new team had won their first two games.

The Vegas Golden Knights play their home opener game on Tuesday against the Coyotes at T-Mobile Arena.