The Second Civil War

by Eli Duncan, Opinions Editor

The former Confederate States of America (CSA), the South, the Basket of Deplorables or any other term you want to use to describe southern America has been rocked with having statues of historical figures of American history taken down in the name of “non-racism” and “tolerance”. One of the most recent is the statue of CSA hero, General Robert E. Lee. The mayor of Baltimore, Catherine Pugh, stated “It’s in the best interest of my city,” as she gave the order to remove Confederate monuments overnight this past Wednesday. If this trend continues, we will soon see the removal of all symbols regarding the Confederacy. As it stands, even a digital representation of the Confederate flag was banned from games and apps on Apple devices, and only reinstating some apps mere days after the ban in June 2015.

The removal of his statue in Charlottesville, Virginia prompted far-right racists and Neo-Nazis to come out in large numbers to protest, and then the subsequent far-left progressives counter protests. Unfortunately and unsurprisingly, these protesters and counter-protesters erupted into violence. Far-left protesters started punching the far-right protesters and vice versa. Then, amidst the violence, a Neo-Nazi plowed his car into a group of the far-left and right protesters and reportedly killed one and injured 19. At the end of the day, the protest is blamed for three deaths.

The theme of violent protests have been ever more prevalent in recent history. Notably the the Black Lives Matter protests in Ferguson, Missouri and Baltimore, Maryland. The trend of violence shows the rest of the free world, the part of the world that looks to the United States for guidance, that we can’t handle our differences and confirms the “violent America” stereotype that plagues us. The country that leads the free world is once again divided.

This protest shows what the American political world has become. The far-left has refused to listen to the far-right and then far-right has refused to listen to the far-left, much like the North and the South all those years back in the first Civil War. What was first fought as a battle between state rights and federal rights, the new fight is between ignorance and arrogance from both parties.

Yes, I did say the first Civil War. We are in the beginning of the second Civil War with battles being fought, ironically, around the memorials of Civil War heroes. I’m not trying to strike fear, but looking at historical events, disagreements like these fueled the fire in the first Civil War. This protest, along with the many other protests surrounding the removal of CSA war heroes, have confirmed what myself and many others believed: those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.

I see the removal of Confederate statues as a form of forgetting our racial history. As horrible as it is, we have to remember our mistakes or we will go back to the racial divide of the 19th and 20th centuries. I’m not saying we will reinstate slavery as those are not the ideals of modern America, those are not the ideals of our current president or any subsequent president.

Both the far-right and far-left are to blame for this new war. Both parties are in violation of the First Amendment and the rights it grants us. Freedom of speech only extends so far. You cannot use your right to speak to make a call to action, like yelling “FIRE!” in a crowded movie theatre. You can however use that right to speak your mind which includes, and this may offend some, hate speech. They both broke the part which states they have the right to peacefully protest. Getting torches, punching people, and driving your car into a crowd is not peacefully protesting.

What has Charlottesville taught us? It taught me that we take our rights for granted. The new millennial generation wants everything handed to them and they don’t have to answer for any of their actions, which includes the actions in their protests which often erupt into violence.

It taught me that the far-left believes that if you don’t believe in the victim mentality that they created for minority groups, you don’t deserve to have an opinion and you should be physically hurt. It taught me that the far-right doesn’t stand for the Republican values that I was taught and if you are in the minority group, you should be killed. It taught me that our history means nothing in the eyes of far-left, and that they want to censor anything that offends people and that the far-right will do anything to hold onto the outdated racist ideals. America has declared war on itself once again, I hope everyone is prepared.

3 Comments

3 Responses to “The Second Civil War”

1. David on November 1st, 2017 11:21 am

What a white privileged perspective. There is no far left with any power and what you may consider far left has stood up for free speech, read about the Skokie case where the ACLU stood up for the Nazi’s right to free speech. Apparently, you’ve been taught nothing about the civil rights struggle since the civil war, if you think we are entering the second civil war. Minorities just have a victim mentality taught to them by the left? Yes, is that what your white parents have taught you? There is an appropriate way to learn about the civil war, celebrating the confederacy leaders is not it. Think Holocaust museum instead of statutes honoring Hitler as a hero.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:American_Civil_War_museums_by_state

2. Jake Grosvenor on November 7th, 2017 7:57 am

Thank you for your dissenting opinion, but this paper is a place to share opinions and our writers have the right to share what they want. We do not stand for racism, and Eli is far from racist, and his article well researched and factually correct, not racist or a “white privileged perspective.” But thank you for sharing!

3. Eli Duncan on November 7th, 2017 7:44 pm

Thank you for the opposite opinion to mine. You make an interesting point but I think you misunderstood the position I made within the article. If you would like to get clarity, feel free to contact me at my email.

*

• The Second Civil War

Get Ahead of the SAT and ACT

• The Second Civil War

October 1st

• The Second Civil War

The Panthers Showed No Mercy

• The Second Civil War

How Two Weeks Changed My Life: JustCity

• The Second Civil War

“Potato Salad” review

• The Second Civil War

Mr. Florence Spotlight

• The Second Civil War

The Importance of the Midterm Elections

• The Second Civil War

Restaurant Review: ColdPress Express

• The Second Civil War

Iridescence review

• The Second Civil War

Stop Congratulating Yourself, Hollywood — You’re Cowards

The Second Civil War