The Origins of Halloween

by Joseph David and Alexandria Margo

It’s that time of year. People are throwing cobwebs on their lawn and rushing to get last minute costumes. Halloween is fast approaching. Many people celebrate this spooky holiday, but few know how it actually came to be. Without further ado, this is the origin of Halloween.

Halloween first originated as a Celtic practice originating from Pagan roots over 2,000 years ago. Practice took place specifically in England, Scotland, and Ireland but also occurred throughout Europe.

The Pope later adopted the holiday into Christian tradition as a day to honor the saints during the eighth century.

During this holiday there are many traditions and activities. One of the most popular Halloween activities is trick or treating. The first known form of this traditional event was during celebrations in England where poor people would visit the houses of wealthier families and receive pastries called soul cakes in exchange for a promise to pray for the souls of the homeowners’ dead relatives. This practice was known as souling. Eventually souling was taken up by children who went door to door in costume asking for food, money, and ale.

Finally this tradition made its way to America. Souling turned into more excessive pranking in the 1920s. By the 1930s the over-the-top pranks led to the common practice that we know as trick or treating today. This remained a Halloween tradition except in the years of WWII , but quickly gained notice again afterwards.

Halloween is a holiday that most people celebrate. Many students at Palo Verde have their own opinions on this spooky day.

Sophomore Larome Lewis states that he celebrates Halloween because of his “little sister and that he goes out with her he so she enjoys trick or treating, because it’s only so many years that you can enjoy it until you grow out of it.”

Although many students at Palo enjoy Halloween, not all students take part in this spooky holiday.

Junior Ailao Tosheono states, that he “goes to his church’s harvest festival instead of celebrating Halloween”. He continues saying, “he doesn’t like Halloween and he doesn’t like that the holiday gives crazy people a reason to come out.”

Halloween is an established holiday that has been embedded into a myriad of cultures throughout history. Halloween continues to be a joyous holiday where people take the time to dress up, eat candy, and celebrate this special day together.