Niall Horan’s “Flicker” Album Review

by Janel Delgado, Reporter

Album Title: Flicker
Record Label: Neon Haze Music Ltd

Release Date: October 20, 2017

Rating: 9/10

Niall Horan, a member of One Direction, has come out with his debut solo album. After listening to Horan’s two singles, “This Town” and “Slow Hands,” released previously to his album, nothing less than perfection was expected from Flicker. The album has all the components to make an outstanding piece of music.

Horan’s album has beautiful lyrics, great instrumentation, and amazing vocals. Although the album is indeed wonderful, the very first song was not well-liked the first time listening to the album. Continually listening to the track, “On The Loose,” it becomes more enjoyable to listen to. The beat of “On the Loose” isn’t a favorite while the lyrics do not portray any happy, sad or energetic vibes. They are dark, talk about a girl who seems crazy and how she is not the type of girl you want to be with.

“Since We’re Alone” has a nice, poppy tune that is different from the rest of the album. It does not have the same feel as the other songs and feels out of place.

Another song, “Paper Houses,” didn’t catch my attention like other songs on the album have but still was able to give off a great melody.

Since they first came out, “This Town” and “Slow Hands” have been on my top songs. Out of the rest of the songs “Seeing Blind”, “Flicker”, and “On My Own” are the best songs. “Seeing Blind” and “Flicker” are lovable songs in their tone and message which is sweet.

“Seeing Blind” talks about seeing love everywhere else, not believing you could find it and when you do you cannot believe it.

I have seen, seen it all in paper/Watched it full on the screen/But never understood/I have heard, have heard you speak a million words/Now you’re talking to me first/Never thought you would” are some of the heartwarming lyrics about first love. Niall expresses in this song no matter what you can find love.

“On My Own” the lyrics talk about rather being alone than in love in a relationship which is still about love but not wanting it. The song also has a different tone than the rest of the album being upbeat and a feel good song. It is an accurate representation of how love is in life, you may not always be in a relationship and that is alright. All the lyrics are very realistic examples of relationships and what you may go through.

“Too Much Too Ask” is about Niall’s experience with breakups and how he attempts to deal with them. “And oh, love, do you feel this rough?/Why’s it only you I’m thinking of” describes the struggles that follow breakups. This song is not the sweet and freshly new type of love song. Instead, it is the opposite─the end of relationships, where sadness and heartbreak take place.

The lyrics to “Fire Away” and “You and Me” are really beautiful, inspiring, and talk about love. In “Fire Away” Niall sings about his girlfriend going through troubles but always being there for her. Knowing people can have strong relationships is reassuring to listeners. Everything about these songs gives me chills.

Niall’s new album marks a stark difference between his newly found style and his previously juvenile sound in One Direction, separating him from his former pack. His songs are also more slow and soothing, where One Direction had cute, fun, and more upbeat songs.

However, his One Direction nature shows through as the theme in Flicker is about different aspects of love and relationships, similar to some of the band’s songs. Niall’s style is separate from many popular albums which makes it stand out and that much more enjoyable.