Taylor Swift’s “Reputation” review

by Dominique Allen, Reporter

Album Title: Reputation

Record Label: Big Machine Records

Release Date: November 10, 2017

Rating: 9/10

From lyrics of one heartbreak to another to yet another breakup making a sharp turn to love songs, and rivalry with big star’s, Reputation is full of lust, love and revengeful moments. “Are you. . .Ready For It?”

Lust is one of Taylor’s themes expressed through her album.

Taylor Swift has a strong ardor to “do bad things,” and isn’t shy to admit it. Through her erotic songs including “So It Goes,” and “Dress,” the light tones and easy sing-along lyrics are sure to catch listeners off guard from Taylor’s original music and make them fall in love with the new bubbly, electropop and R&B feels.

For me, these songs are better than her other ones; I felt myself singing to them and feeling jubilant. My first reaction to the album was disappointment that she’s changed once again, this time both herself and her music. I still don’t approve of her transformation of dark and vile style, but by the second time I listened, I really adored it’s renewal to unpopular styles of pop.

Love is one of the most common themes that Taylor is known for, and this album is no different.

“Call It What You Want,” but Taylor’s new album isn’t lacking in the love department. Starting with lyrics of, “You are the one I have been waiting for/king of my heart, body and soul.” Even if you don’t have a special person in your life, songs from Reputation will take you into a fairytale land.

My favorite song is “I Did Something Bad,” because it makes me feel like a diva and the lyrics alone take me back to her old self, which I still miss, with lyrics like “I’ll never trust a narcissist/But they love me/so I play ‘em like a violin.” The beat, the lyrics, the uniqueness of the all of the songs, really drew me in.

Along with Taylor’s theme of love, her tone of revenge is also a characteristics of her songs that she’s so famous for.

If you break her trust, or her heart, Taylor is bound to write a song about it. Tsk. Tsk. Her entire album following the theme of reputation and the version of people they choose to show the world. She sings, “Friends don’t try to trick you/Get you on the phone/And mind-twist you.” The song hints at the reason her friendship fell apart with Kanye, a feud that started after Kanye called Taylor up to ask to promote his song “Famous.” She didn’t know the song had lyrics saying that “I made that b**ch famous” in reference to Taylor herself. I think she took the whole thing in a real swift movement, writing songs for him that are empowering and show that he can’t mess with her. The background stories make the album more interesting as well.

With 717,000 copies sold on the first day and fans obsessing already calling it her “best album yet.” I’ll have to agree, even though it took me three listens to the album to love it.