Call of Duty: WWII Review

by Eli Duncan, Opinions Editor

Rating: 4/10

Publisher: Activision/Sledgehammer

Release Date: Nov. 3, 2017

MSRB: Mature

The fourteenth game in the Call of Duty franchise has been a long awaited homecoming. For the first time in almost a decade, we are sent back to the brutality of World War II. In the starting years of this game franchise, the only time period players got was the years of the bloodiest conflict in human history. Call of Duty: WWII, a game the specializes in telling the story of that conflict, does the worst job.

The player follows Pvt. Ronald “Red” Daniels and his tour of duty starting at the D-Day invasion on Normandy and ending in the battles in The Rhine. Through the gameplay, we get a good look at the sense of brotherhood that forms on the battlefield of war. If this game was based solely on the soldier’s relationships, it would be a perfect game. Throughout the game, we feel the obvious tension between the player and the Nazis, but we also get a sense of the conflicts within the squad as the game goes on.

Pvt. Daniels and his squadmates in the 1st Infantry Division show a level of friendship and companionship that war games rarely show. This was a nice change because the game is not just about shooting the enemy before they shoot you. It is about using your squad and the benefits they provide, which include health, ammunition and grenades. The fact that teamwork was substituted for the futuristic technology of previous games was refreshing.

The one thing the game excels at is the way it depicted the D-Day landings in Normandy. The cutscenes and the overall gameplay of the mission is amazing. You truly feel the presence of the Nazis and the MG42’s they used to mow down Allied soldiers. The only story that beats this depiction of D-Day is the opening scene of the movie Saving Private Ryan. Call of Duty: WWII also has amazing graphics that truly make you feel like you are watching a war movie with human actors instead of digitally rendered figures.

Through the twelve mission story mode, we see how the Nazi occupation of Europe affected everything and everyone in the regime’s path. This is one of the best stories in war history, but the script for Call of Duty: WWII did it no justice. It was bland and predictable. However, despite the abysmal script, the voice acting was nothing less than phenomenal. Unfortunately, these voice actors were not given a script to do their acting justice.

The second third of the game – the multiplayer portion – is even worse. Players were plagued by the same uninteresting multiplayer gameplay that players always get from a Call of Duty game.

Much of the multiplayer realm is characterized by using a sniper from long distance while trying to play an offensive objective – which never works. The game by nature is a mix of offensive and defensive missions. Most of the players that I encountered in the six or seven hours that I played have used a combination of a submachine gun and sniper rifle. My loadout was the same, using a PPSh-41 submachine gun and the Lee Enfield sniper.

This made the game boring. In a competing game, Destiny, the player has many loadout options to counter other players. In Call of Duty: WWII, your options are limited.

The only redeeming quality of the multiplayer is the War gamemode. This game mode allows you to play for objectives. If you do not get the objective done in the allotted time, then your team loses and then the roles switch. This is where the competitive game scene will be. The game is alway high intensity and it is very fun to just sit around and play.

Despite all the negative parts of the game, there is one aspect that I found really fun. The return of Nazi Zombies was welcome as it was the first time we got to kill undead Nazis since the release of Call of Duty: Black Ops in 2010.

The one map we have in the game so far is called The Final Reich. This map mixes the classic zombies gameplay, where you just kill undead Nazis for as long as possible, while adding a storyline to follow. This story includes the voice of David Tennant, the Tenth Doctor in the TV series Doctor Who, and hearing his voice while killing Nazis was a fun surprise.

Of the thirty total hours that I have put into this game, over half  was spent killing the undead horde of Nazis. This was the one saving grace of the game. However, it does not make the game worth the $60 price tag that is set on it. If you want to experience the game, wait until it goes on sale or see if one of your friends will game share with you.

The things that hinder this game from being a successful edition to the Call of Duty franchise is the fact that they really did not improve on anything the last game introduced, which also was a flop. The only reason that I see people buying this game is for the nostalgia that the World War II setting brings the players back to the roots of the franchise that they have grown to love.

The game is not meant for veteran gamers or anyone older than the age of twelve. If you have played video games for years and have not liked the Call of Duty franchise, then you will not like this game. However, if you are a new gamer or generally just a fan of the franchise, you will like this game. If you are a younger kid, then this game is for you. It has all the flashy explosions and blood that kids want to see, and that is not a bad thing. That is what Call of Duty has made it’s fame on.

Have fun gamers, and I will see you on the battlefield.