Has Technology Taken Its Toll on Society?

by Joseph David, News Editor

During the summer of 1844, German philosopher Karl Marx deciphered the theory of human alienation. He postulated the estrangement of humans from their “species-essence”. Although normally attributed to economic theory, Marx’s alienation theory also greatly bases itself off humanistic, social, and philosophical concept.

Today, this concept is most relevant towards society’s exponential march towards a world cluttered with technology. Apple’s creation has rapidly grown in technological sophistication and has spread into the pockets of people everywhere all over the globe. After more than ten years since the release of the first smartphone, it appears that the world has grown more connected. Yet at the same time, it is visibly clear that the world has become more alienated than it has ever been.

In fairly recent times, I have often heard the story of how families have isolated themselves from one another and instead eat dinner in different areas, away from one another with each unto their own, usually indulging with technology. Dinner time is family time. This is a time where the family comes together and eats together and there are no distractions posed. There appears to be a growing division within families and one of the main culprits seems to be technology coupled with a sense of selfishness or a wrong idea of how the structure of the household and family should be run.

Technology has pinned humanity down to the point where even families are being divided.

It is sickening to see technology constantly in the hands of children who are not even five years of age. Although some technology is good, the importance of real interactions within the real world is definitely the most important of all factors when it comes to development and learning. As children become transfixed on technology, they become dependent on it. People are not born as humans, but rather made. By robbing children of reality they are robbed of their humanity. Families have a duty to teach their children and give them the roots to function which will lead them to spread their wings and fly in the world.

Humans, specifically children, need to have structure in their lives. By curving children from playing and communicating, the risk for health problems and disorders greatly increases. Children in the 21st century are now obese more than ever. It has also been postulated that regular high doses of technology are a culprit of autism, ADHD, anxiety, and other substantial disorders. By internalizing all their energy throughout the day, children become restless and in doing so also release nervousness and anxiety. I have seen firsthand within my family the effects of technology and its overuse and what multiple distractions have created in young children. Throughout the day there is a buildup of hyperactivity and stress that accumulates within the child. For a young child, simply too many distractions, noises, and visual nuisances overwhelm the developing mind of the child. The child’s concentration is limited and there is no focus. Development in the child slurs, and figures such as speech and learning patterns are exponentially delayed. The child is unable to utter a single word even as far as the age of four. Although there may be multiple diagnoses from doctors, even going so far as to declare autism or other disorders as an answer, it may really be late development due to some other factor, perhaps because of technology. If anyone considers for one second that technology can be a “teacher” to a child, they are seriously misguided. It is the voice, the action, the teaching, the exposure, to real parents, to real family, to real friends, and to the real world that truly matters.  There is a clear difference between the real world: parents, other children, nature, reality, humanity, as opposed to a screen that is nothing more than a visual illusion coming from a box. Parents need to limit technology to children and actually expose children to the real, living and breathing world. Only through this can children properly and truly develop.

Technology is rapidly developing on a global scale. It is indeed proof that humanity is moving forward. However it must be made sure that technology moves in the right direction and that it does not interfere or overtake humanity itself. As Earth bears witness to an ever developing world it is humanity’s duty to make sure that technology is taken in the right direction.