Maroon 5’s “Red Pill Blues” Album Review

by Brittany Blanco, Junior Editor

Album Title: Red Pill Blues

Record Label: Interscope Records

Release Date: November 3, 2017

Rating 9/10

Maroon 5 has been releasing music for years and years, but they have recently evolved their sound to show off their talents in a more modern way. Red Pill Blues, their sixth studio album, may be their best album yet, filled with new things that you wouldn’t expect from them. Maroon 5 tried brand new sounds and featured new artists, making their album have a more pop music vibe. Their different music style still shows hints of their old classic sound, so you will still hear the “original” Maroon 5. Red Pill Blues is something different to listen to, and the electric sounds with the irresistible beats will not disappoint.

Red Pill Blues starts off with “Best 4 U”, a song filled with techno beats and meaningful lyrics. It is full of deep emotions and an entire storyline where the lead singer, Adam Levine, explains how he wants what’s best. He talks about how he lies to protect the girl, but she thinks he doesn’t care in the long run. Red Pill Blues is started off strong with this upbeat song, and it shows us how most of the album will pretty much sound like.

One of the most popular songs on the album is “What Lovers Do”, featuring the one and only SZA. “What Lovers Do” is such a bright song that will put you in a good mood, and the music itself is so catchy. The lyrics, on the other hand, also have meaning, as the song talks about wishing for one another and playing around. Both Adam Levine and SZA’s vocals are featured in “What Lovers Do”, but who would’ve thought we would see this different side of SZA! This song alone is my personal favorite and it balances the album out perfectly.

“Cold”, featuring Future, is another catchy song that turned into such a hit in a matter of seconds, and it closes off the album with a bang. Levine sings about being distant from this girl and how he sees the end of the relationship, which seems like a very big deal, but the beats and rapping make this song seem happy. This song just never gets old, and you’ll find yourself playing it over and over again.

Red Pill Blues was not a disappointment in any way, and I am truly surprised at how big this album has become. Even though Maroon 5 changed up their music style in this album, I still enjoyed their new sound, and the fact that they featured so many artists made the album that much more entertaining. Give this album a chance, since it is something new to us and also the band, and you will honestly be amazed at their new work.