Miguel’s War & Leisure album review

by Brittany Blanco, Junior Editor

Album Title: War & Leisure

Record Label: RCA Records

Release Date: December 1, 2017

Rating: 7/10

Miguel is praised as one of the best R&B artists out there, but this album didn’t really meet up to such expectations. The album itself is not bad at all, but there are only a few songs actually worth listening to.

Miguel’s fourth studio album, War & Leisure, is a bit of a hit and a miss. Two years without new music from Miguel was way too long and this album definitely filled up most of that empty void, but still left some open space. War & Leisure has some great songs, but some of the tracks are just plain out boring. Each song has its own individual sound, but is the whole album really worth your time?

War & Leisure opens up with “Criminal”, a soothing song about wanting someone to be just like you. “Criminal” is MIguel’s usual type of love song. Yes, this song is very catchy and meaningful, but it is also pretty boring at the same time. Rick Ross is featured on this track, but I think his part was truly unnecessary, and Miguel’s vocals should have been the only thing to focus on. The album could have opened up with much stronger song like “Wolf” or “Harem”, to catch the listeners’ attention and make them actually want to listen to the rest of the album.

The best track on the album that represents the real Miguel is “Come Through and Chill”, featuring J. Cole and Salaam Remi. “Come Through and Chill” contains the best, simple R&B vibes. This song is just so chill and shows off the real side of Miguel and his music style. J. Cole’s rap makes this song that much better, and I am really liking the outcome of this song. If most of the songs on War & Leisure sounded just like this, then the album would’ve been almost perfect overall.

“Now” closes off War & Leisure in an interesting way. This song is not bad at all, it is just something different that Miguel would not usually do, and he shouldn’t do again. He brought in politics throughout this song and sung out his opinions, causing fans to question him and wonder too much. “Now” is another one of those songs with a soothing background, but the lyrics are deeper than you think, and I don’t think it worked out to Miguel’s advantage.

Overall, War & Leisure is a decent album, but more was expected from Miguel. We all miss his regular old R&B songs, but this album shows us a new side of him. He tried to go out of his comfort zone and release new sounds, and it did pay off, but only for some of the songs. I like to keep things the way they are, but If you like when artists change up their style then this album is for you.