The Kale Cult

by Cody Reymond, Reporter

There are people in the world, the kinds of people that tell you they’re vegan within five seconds of meeting you. They’ll bring it up at any time and try to shove some documentary about how “meat is murder”  down your throat. All of them are prestigious and righteous and deserve constant praise.

Most of the times, eating is nearly impossible with a vegan. You have two options: eat vegan or eat vegan. These ‘activists’ even know how flawed their logic is and how hard it is to get people to join their kale cult. You can find a vegan in its natural habitat of Wholefoods, Sprouts, a yoga class, or the obvious, a vegan restaurant, or juicery, that serves only kale and quinoa.

One of the biggest problem is that eating meat is common nature for humans. We’ve been hunting animals and consuming their meat, using their hides, and even certain body parts for tools. Some theorists hypothesise the appendix helped break down and digest raw meat when we didn’t have the ability to cook meat thousands of years ago.  Our body is naturally inclined to eat meat and our bodies have adapted to how we consumed our meat. Since we no longer eat raw meat, the appendix doesn’t serve the same purpose but still shows how natural it is to eat meat.

Vegans don’t just avoid meat, they don’t eat any products that come from animals. The result of this is a surge of prices. Without considering the health differences, Cheez-its cost around $2 for a 7 oz box, while the vegan counterpart, Earth Balance, costs $9 for a 6 0z box. When looking for the price per ounce, Cheez-Its come to $0.28 and Earth Balance’s equivalent comes to  $1.50. Even healthier options that are non vegan such as Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s similar products are cheaper, or at the same price of vegan alternatives. The overall cost of being vegan varies for everyone and the products they use. Vegans themselves know the extra cost and even state this in articles. They throw the extra cost out there and then transition into how the affordable alternatives, meat, is only cheap because we kill animals.

Ginny Messina, a vegan blogger,  writes that “most people will discover sooner than later that veggie burgers cost more than ground beef.” She also debunks the myth that vegans save money on groceries and claims the opposite.  Messina is exposing her own beliefs and doesn’t realize it and continues to strengthen the argument against them. The logic behind this pretty flawed, but so is the whole idea behind veganism.

Without going into the taste of meat, it is a complete protein and full of other healthy and necessary parts. While it does provide some other minerals and vitamins, these are the biggest components. Vegan foods are normally packed in extra sugar to add taste which, let’s be honest, quinoa doesn’t scream out great flavor compared to a prime rib steak. Many vegans say how they lost weight, but that can be attributed to eating way less.

Vegans pride themselves on being extreme animal lovers. They don’t eat meat because they claim it’s “murder”. Due to the lack of meat, and all other animal products, vegans eat plants and plant based products. If meateaters wanted to be as petty as vegans, we could strongly argue two big points. Plants are also living organisms so technically eating plants is also “murder”. Also, animals depend on plants. They are autotrophs which means they produce their own food. No animals or humans can do this. If we overharvest plants it will diminish the animal population by eliminating their food source and sometimes habitats. After the sun, plants are the biggest part in the food chain. Without enough pants the animals would die out, doing the opposite of the goal of veganism.

PETA is a large part of the vegan and animal world. Pulled directly from their website, they claim, “People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) is the largest animal rights organization in the world, with more than 6.5 million members and supporters.

PETA focuses its attention on the four areas in which the largest numbers of animals suffer the most intensely for the longest periods of time: in the food industry, in the clothing trade, in laboratories, and in the entertainment industry.

“We also work on a variety of other issues, including the cruel killing of rodents, birds, and other animals who are often considered ‘pests’ as well as cruelty to domesticated animals.” Sifting through their lies and false claims, they have been found to have been killing thousands of animals per year. PETA Kills Animals, a real animal activists group, has exposed how many animals PETA has slaughtered with overwhelming proof.  With information from the Department of Agriculture in Virginia, they have revealed the insane amount of animals killed by the ‘animal loving group’. Since the halfway mark of 1998 PETA has had 42,401 animals in their “shelters” and 36,381 of those poor animals were slaughtered at the hands of a pro-vegan organization that claims that they help animals. Dozens of employees have been charged with animal cruelty. This is an organization that tries to shame meat-eaters for eating food that’s normal for us while they murder north of 85.8% of the animals they take in.

Lierre Keith was a vegan for 20 years, and now is unveiling all the hidden costs of veganism in her new book and on podcasts. Keith claims that her vegan diet “did significant damage to her body.” She stated that her body was only able to regenerate and heal after reintroducing animal products into her diet. Illnesses affected her worse, she suffered from pains that she linked to her diet.

From former vegans to animal activist groups, the flaws and problems of veganism has been shown. Their main organization executes thousands of animals yearly, their bodies can’t handle the diet, and they go against thousands of years of evolution and human instinct. Don’t fall to the kale cult and don’t be shamed into stopping consuming meat. This fad diet will soon be over the hill and the craze will die down.

1 Comment

One Response to “The Kale Cult”

1. Palo Fan on January 11th, 2018 9:17 am

People for The Eating of Tasty Animals is the only PETA i will join

[Reply]

*

• The Kale Cult

Ivy Chipman: Palo’s 2018-2019’s Student Body President

• The Kale Cult

Avengers: Infinity War – A Decade In the Making

• The Kale Cult

Roller Coasters in Physics

• The Kale Cult

Love Simon’s Impact on LGBT Youth

• OPINIONS

Bullying is Not an Issue

• The Kale Cult

How Fortnite Took Over the World

• The Kale Cult

#TBT: “American Beauty” Album Review

• The Kale Cult

Why Dress Code is Important

• The Kale Cult

The Longshot EP

• The Kale Cult

A Punny Article

The Kale Cult