Top 10 Travel Destinations for 2018

by Michelle Trajtman and Eli Duncan

For many, the new year is a time for a fresh start for the new year. But for the travelers, we are just waiting for the new year to start new adventures. So, get to planning and clearing dates because these are the best travel spots for 2018.

• Oaxaca, Mexico      

One of the most colorful and easygoing parts of Mexico, Oaxaca is the perfect travel destination for everyone to experience. Oaxaca is home to the amazing Macedonio Alcala Theatre, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. This destination is also a short drive from the beautiful rock formations at Hierve el Agua. Oaxaca shows the best parts of southern Mexico with vibrant colors and excellent food options.

• Alberta, Canada

If there is any place that you would love to be cold at, it would be Alberta, Canada. This trip is best done in the fall. The Canadian Rocky Mountains are covered in snow and if you go to the beautiful Maligne Lake, you will get a great view of the mountains alongside a sea of evergreen trees. This destination has great Instagram potential. Grab some friends and get lost in the Rockies for an unforgettable experience.

• Mykonos, Greece

Do not let the fact that it is the most popular of the Greek islands dissuade you from going here. This island thrives of the white buildings and turquoise skies that brings tourists here. This beauty cannot be matched in many other places. Take the day and enjoy the water with some jet-skis. If that is not something you like, then go horseback riding. But be sure to get back to mainland for some of the best nightlife you can find.

• Gdansk, Poland

This is Poland’s most beautiful city, and one of the most beautiful cities in Eastern Europe. This city lies on the Baltic sea and has played major roles in 20th-century history, for you history buffs out there. In 1939, it was the flashpoint of World War II. Then in 1980, it was the start of the end of the Communist domination in Eastern Europe. As an extra treat, some of the most beautiful architecture can be seen here, which resembles 14th – 17th century design.

• Ladakh Region, India

This region has been left virtually untouched except for the amazing Buddhist monasteries that exist here. If you want peace and silence, then this is the place for you, and combining that with stunning Himalayan landscape, this is one of the most serene places on the planet. The Ladakh region is a nice stop if you are traveling through India and want to escape the chaos that India holds. This is a good backpacking spot that any traveller should go to.

• Sicily, Italy

Sicily is the largest and one of the most densely populated islands in the Mediterranean Sea. The prominent culture and food make it the best adventure for anyone. The island is incredibly mountainous and has active volcanic activity. The subtropical climate makes it perfect to go visit the beautiful black sand beach, which lies on the island of Stromboli. The beautiful landscapes and delicious food is sure to exceed anyone’s expectations.

• New York City, New York

Going to New York during the winter time is a trip everyone must experience at least once in their lives. From seeing the leaves in Central Park reveal their autumn color to living out your childhood dream and seeing the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade in person. You will never run out of things to do. A must-see is the Metropolitan Museum of Art, right after you indulge in the fine dining of the Upper West Side. To top off the experience, go see one of the breathtaking Broadway shows that are sure to leave you startled. Take your family and explore the wonders New York City has to offer.

• Svalbard, Norway

If you are ready to be the coldest you have ever been, welcome to Svalbard Islands, which translate to “cold coasts.” You will definitely be fascinated by the wildlife, arctic nature, and old mining towns. This small and colorful community has become more modernized with different kinds of businesses and industries, and with a wide range of cultural activities and opportunities, such as shows, concerts, festivals, and exhibitions. Once you are there, you cannot miss the captivating Northern Lights, lay under an igloo and look up to the sky to see the colors swirling together to create a beautiful image. There is so many things one can do, like hiking and kayaking. If you enjoy the outdoors and love adventure, this is the place for you.

• Aruba, Caribbean

Does great hospitality, perfect weather with radiant sun, and dreamy beaches sound like the perfect vacation for you? Then Aruba is the place to go. Although there is more chance of rain in the fall, there are still an endless amount of activities for you if this is the only time you can get out there. Go around and look at the European inspired architecture, take an exciting jeep tour around the island, or take an unforgettable voyage into the Caribbean Sea in a submarine. The Caribbean is the perfect place for you if you like adventure and comfort.

• Barcelona, Spain

Travelling to Barcelona is an unforgettable experience, from the diverse culture to the sun-drenched beaches of the Mediterranean, you are bound to fall in love. As the birthplace of many of the world’s most influential artists, take advantage of that and experience its many natural treasures. If art isn’t your thing, there is plenty more to do. Hiking the majestic Pyrenees, surfing in the sun soaked beaches, and savouring the best in new Catalan cooking are just some of your options. If unforgettable nightlife, exploring ancient ruins, and learning about a fascinating culture attracts you, then Barcelona is the place for you.