Youtube’s Resident Sadist

by Eli Duncan, Opinions Editor

The new year is a magical time. For some it means finally going to the gym to get fit. For others it means a new start to right wrongs and repair friendships. As for Logan Paul, it means going into the famed Aokigahara forest, more popularly known as the “suicide forest”.

Many YouTubers go in there looking for a fright. One YouTuber, TFIL, even spent the night in there with three other guys purely because of the paranormal rumors of the forest. The difference is, TFIL and his friends did not laugh and make jokes about suicide like Logan Paul did.

Logan Paul is the biggest money maker for YouTube. He has gained over 350 million views and 4.36 million subscribers in just five years. He gains an average of 15 million views per video. He is YouTube’s posterboy in content creation.

In the age of vlogging, Logan Paul is who most look up to. Well, used to look up to.

In the early days of 2018, Logan paul decided to go into the suicide forest in northwestern Japan to get views and the fame he so dearly deserves. This forest is famed for hanging, venturing in there could lead to seeing something that cannot be unseen. That is exactly what Logan Paul saw.

While still vlogging, Paul put the hanging body in full view and made it the focal point of the video. Something that is, understandably, against YouTube’s terms of use. However, because YouTube is failing and losing profit, they approved of the video in hopes that Logan Paul will give the website more money.

The immediate backlash prompted an apology video from Paul that basically said he was sorry for being so rich and popular. He then posted to Twitter saying that he is going to take a break from vlogging to think about what was going on.

This was when YouTube responded. It is no secret that YouTube is a corrupt business that does not care about the little guys that upload on the site. It does not care about user experience. It cares about making money, which means putting up with both Logan and Jake Paul’s antics on the website, no matter how damaging.

YouTube finally did something about the Paul brothers. YouTube took Logan off of the preferred partners list. While this is far from fixing the situation, it is a step in the right direction.

This is not about YouTube politics or the initial video the Logan uploaded. It is about how Logan, Jake, and the rest of YouTube’s posterchildren can and will upload anything they want with no real repercussions.

What should happen is something YouTube can not afford to do. Logan should be banned from the website in any capacity and he should be forced to not only apologize to the family of the suicide victim, but be forced to give talks on suicide prevention.

Suicide is not a joke, it should not be on a video unless the video ends with some form of suicide prevention.

Logan Paul has an army of children that will always support him no matter what. So now, on top of gamers and travel vloggers, YouTube has a new sadist who does not care about anyone but himself.