Camila Cabello’s Camila review

by Miranda Salazar, Reporter

Album Title: Camila

Record Label: Epic/Sony Records

Release Date: January 12, 2018

Rating:  9/10

Previously singing with the girl group, Fifth Harmony, it was fairly obvious that Camila Cabello was the most high-profile of the girls. She eventually broke away from the group in one of the messiest ways. Now, at only 20 years old, Cabello is reinforcing her previously claimed independence. A year after leaving Fifth Harmony, Cabello released her first debut solo album, entitled Camila. She already has a No. 2 spot on the Billboard Hot 100 with her single “Havana.”

Setting the tone for her album, Cabello starts off with “Never Be The Same,”showing off her prepossessing falsetto and vocal riffs. Cabello delivers this song perfectly, which is one reason why it’s my favorite track from this album. From the lyrics to her emotion in the way she sings the song, this is a surprisingly breathtaking way to start the album. Following this beautiful track, “All These Years” lives up to the high-set standards of the preceding song. With jaw-dropping instrumentals, Cabello delivers another shockingly captivating number. “All These Years” is structured perfectly for the radio.

Swerving between English and Spanish, “Inside Out” isn’t as captivating as the first two, but gives itself its own individuality that it doesn’t need to show as much vulnerability compared to the rest of the songs. This is definitely not Cabello’s best work and is nowhere near the top of my list, but all the other enchanting songs take the attention off this song.

Camila has a very clear emotional and vulnerable intent. With songs like “Something’s Gotta Give” and “Consequences,”she displays a sensitive attitude and tone. Cabello has a relentless vulnerability as she sings about the heartache of both romantic and friendly relationships.

Cabello has vocally, lyrically and impressively established that she was always meant to be an independent solo artist. Clearing out the bombardment of musical synths, Cabello can easily show off her stunning vocal talent and light, airy voice. Cabello wanted her album to represent her independence and dominance in music, and I think she did just that. Overall, Camila vocalized her self-actualization in music and her struggles to rise in fame as one of the top leading female vocalists.