The Technology Takeover

by Mackenzie Khamvongsa, Reporter

There is no doubt that technology is great, but as technology expands at a fast pace, we are discovering new ways to do things faster and easier which are making our lives effortless. Today cellphones and computers are essential to our everyday life. We have become too dependent on computers for answers, personal interactions, and not to mention the fact that we overly abuse them. A computer or telephone has been a great development for technology and has led us to various technological advances, but with the good also comes the bad.

In a study analyzed by sites.psu.edu, people were asked to give a personal opinion of whether they believe society is too reliable on technology. The results were one sided. Society was viewed as a whole that relied too much on technology to success by 77% of the people interviewed.

“Thirty years ago, 90% of the kids were outside getting oxygen and playing sports. They were building forts and enjoying life. In this day an age, more than 75% of our children are playing video games and staying indoors,” explains the study. Many people had this similar response.

People have shown that they can hold conversation over the internet and through the phone, but put a real face in front of them and they struggle. Conversation is currently viewed as a skill in today’s society, and citizens should not have to avoid face-to-face contact because of their addiction to a cell phone or telephone.

Society has integrated technology into every aspect of human life. Jobs, advancements, and values have all been invested into your hand held phone and computer you take for granted. Without your phone you feel naked, nobody remembers a cell phone number, and if the internet is down, work is over for the day.  

Technology is contributing to the nullification of our ability to think critically. By Googling a topic, plagiarizing, and gathering alternative ideas, is just the press of a button away. Aside from that, trivial appliances like calculators or spell checks are constantly depended on.

There are so many moments we try to capture on video, only to realize that we’re not experiencing the moment when we are trying to capture. Dr. Nicholas Bowman, assistant professor of Communication Studies at West Virginia University, sees it differently, though.

“One might counter-argue that while we sometimes remove ourselves from ‘our moment’ by observing something through our smartphone screen compared to watching it with our eyes, network technologies enable us to live in the moments of millions of people every day.”

Perhaps this is the hub of the issue. According to mnn.com, technology addiction is a reality these days, with people checking their text messages and emails as much as 30 to 40 times an hour. Technology addiction is no joke and though it may be a good thing, much of it can leave you stressed and strung-out.

The choice remains in each person’s hands. The balance we need to perceive is in appreciating and using technology in the right way, but still knowing when to turn it off to experience life to its fullest. As a tool, using technology is the key. Bowman says, “In school, children don’t have to memorize as many facts as their grandparents did because they can Google it, but this also gives children the ability to move past simple memorization and into more advanced levels of analysis, problem-solving, and synthesis of old knowledge into new ideas.”

When technology isn’t at your fingertips, try to experience and appreciate the moments you encounter rather than focusing on what you don’t have.