The Surge of Political Correctness

by Cody Reymond, Reporter

Hollywood and the film industry has had a surge of extreme political correctness. It now seems studios are focusing more on adding forced diversity than getting the better actors.
It is clear some roles, especially historic roles, demand a certain ethnicity, background, or gender. However the film industry we see is now pushing minorities even when better actors could have been chosen. The performer should be chosen by their talent, not their background.
In the 2016 remake of The Magnificent Seven, the screenwriters seemed to challenge themselves to cast as many minorities as they could into the movie. It ended up looking more like a multicultural meetup than a western set in the 1800’s.

This isn’t the only film that decided to get rid of talent and go for a certain gender of forced diversity.
The Ghostbusters remake was made with an all female cast, and was bashed by a majority of the fans and critics. They generated $229 million in the box office with a budget of $144 million. The original cost $30 million, and generated  north of $295 million in profit. This is a great example of good performers are what we want, not a politically correct film. That is why we have family friendly, Disney  G rated movies.

Speaking of Disney, the new Star Wars movies also follow the trend of cramming in as many minorities as possible. Rogue one, while they are good actors, seems to once again try to include one of each gender and ethnicity. In the most recent Star Wars movie, and trilogy in general, the casting was chosen based off of background instead of talent. The main villains in Star Wars are all white males if not an alien or robot. This is a double standard and can be found in dozens of other movies.

Besides the casting, the humor has also become politically correct. We as a society have gotten so soft that we can’t take a joke anymore.

Comparing comedy and content from the past and now is staggering. It’s better to have realistic movies that aren’t afraid to crack an “offensive” joke, than a false reality where everyone is nice and nothing can be deemed offensive.

Comedians get shot down over “insensitive” jokes and can kill their careers in moments. The whole point of seeing  a comedian is to hear those styles of jokes. We know the jokes aren’t particularly politically correct and that’s why we go. There is clearly a difference between poking fun at a subject and being racist. Racism has no place in the spotlight, but now many things that shouldn’t be labeled as racist or sexist, are labeled as such.

Since everything can be deemed as offensive, it would not be a shock to see the amount of comedians drastically shoot down in the near future.  Well renowned comedians such as Bill Burr have made public comments about this issue saying that it abases the level of comedy.

As a society we should demand that we stop washing our entertainment with political correctness, cast by talent, not color. Let comedians make the jokes that they come up with, not a Disney version of adult entertainment.