MANIA album review

by Erica Jane, Entertainment Editor

Album Title: M A N I A

Record Label: Uprising, Fueled by Ramen
Release Date: January 19, 2018

Rating: 8/10

Looking for an adrenaline packed punch? A series of powerpunk that’ll give your bass a reason to bump? MANIA, the newest album from the legendary band, Fall Out Boy, will strike an electrifying chord. It provides fans with a completely new era; instead of their typical, emo-pop, high hat and riff filled anthems, MANIA is the dawn of the new age. The album consists of ten intense and driven tracks. Armed with Patrick Stump’s memorable and rebellious vocals, MANIA is nothing short of a blessing. It shouts retaliation, retribution and revolt.

Gearing into fulldrive, MANIA skids into its first track, “Young and Menace,” followed by “Champion.” MANIA reveals an entirely fresh vibe. The upbeats and the hard tempo defines the anarchy that rises within the album. Tracks like “The Last of the Real Ones” brings fans with the reminiscent taste of emo-pop remixed into the spunk of MANIA. “I wonder if your therapist knows everything about me / I’m here in search of your glory / There’s been a million before me / That ultra-kind of love you never walk from / You’re just the last of the real ones.” Sound familiar?

“The Last of the Real Ones” isn’t the only carcass of Fall Out Boy’s anticipated emo days. “Wilson (Expensive Mistakes)” reminds fans of how important it is to be unique; between hard instrumentals, the subtle gliss of xylophones, the perfect harmonization, it screams self-expression, strained friendships and the battle for being your own person. The chorus roars, “I hope the roof flies off, and we get blown into space / Oh, I always made such expensive mistakes / I know it’s just a number, but you’re the eighth wonder, I’ll stop wearing black when they make a darker color.”

MANIA is a boiling pot of feelings. It shifts from angry, action movie pump ups, to throwback jams and siren-like ballads of Stump’s voice. “Heaven’s Gate” features a molasses serenade with little to no instrumentals, but the soft high-hats, and Stump’s voice makes this track absolutely dreamy. “I got dreams of my own / But I want to make yours come true / So please come through / Honey, please, please come through.” It voices out the typical communication of a couple- it begs one side to stay, and addresses the heartbreak that sinks into the song.

“Stay Frosty Royal Milk Tea,” is the exclusive track of MANIA. Exclusive as it is, “Stay Frosty Royal Milk Tea” is the diamond in the rough of the album. The track wastes no time to throw fans into its coup-d’etat fabricated world. “The only thing that’s ever stopping me is me (HEY) / I’ll testify, if I die in my sleep / Then know that my life was just a killer dream, yeah.”

Fall Out Boy is the world’s beloved emo-pop band, and their releases are anything but boring. MANIA shakes your inner rebel- your quiet, but passionate voice, to surface and tantalizes every fiber in your body to just dance. With a ride of ten tracks and abrasive instrumentals, MANIA will have you saying, “Ultra Resistance!”