Athlete Spotlight: Jonathan Carpenter

Jonathan Carpenter is a senior here at Palo Verde and has been on the wrestling team all four years of his high school career. This year, he’s the only wrestler from Palo that is going to state championships, which means huge commitment and responsibility.

Ever since he was 10 years old, star senior Carpenter has been discovering and developing his love for wrestling. Three years after he started, Carpenter started getting serious about wrestling and began growing his profound passion for the sport.

When he’s not playing, Carpenter spends his time at a martial arts school where he is a black belt in karate. He also does lots of community service and has gotten awarded the Presidential Service Award multiple times. Winning these awards has helped him get nominated for the Naval Academy, where he plans on graduating and, later, becoming an officer in the Marine Corps.

“I’ve always wanted to join the Marines, and this gave me the opportunity to follow my dreams and go where I want to in life,” says Carpenter. “I’m very proud to [have been] awarded this to further my chances to do what I really like to do.”

When Carpenter was just 13 years old, he discovered his love for wrestling after winning  his first big tournament. As he got older, his drive to become a better wrestler progressed, which led him to becoming the competitive athlete that he is today. Carpenter won regionals as only a sophomore, which is his favorite memory of his wrestling career so far.

“Winning regionals as only a sophomore was really exciting for me. I think the fact that I was so young and also the fact that I had done something I never thought I could do at that point in my life really made that moment special.”

With an outstanding record of 40 to 4, Carpenter is the only wrestler from Palo going to state. “I never thought that I would be the only one from my school going to state. This is a big opportunity for me to show everyone what I can do and that I’m a great wrestler. I think this is a chance for me to show what I’ve got.”

Before he gets on the mat, Carpenter tries to get his mind focused and ready to play. While speaking to Carpenter, he was glad to share his key to victory.

“It’s all really just the mindset, because once your body is ready to wrestle, it’s just all about making sure your mind is where it’s at and to not think about anything and just focus on your match,” states Carpenter.

Hoping to soon make history, Carpenter is preparing everyday in the gym, working on both his skills and his strength. He hopes to make his school, team, coaches and family happy and proud.