Review: Catching Fire

Jennifer Lawrence's Katniss takes aim at the young adult audience.

courtesy of catchingfiremovie.com

courtesy of catchingfiremovie.com

by McKenna Topps, Reporter

Director: Francis Lawrence
Cast: Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Woody Harrelson
Screenplay: Michael Arndt and Simon Beaufoy
MPAA Rating: PG-13

In the second film adaptation of Suzanne Collins’ The Hunger Games series, The Girl on Fire is back with newly sparked relationships and elaborate battles. A year has gone by since Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss Everdeen defied the odds and won the 74th Hunger Games with her companion Peeta Mellark, played by Josh Hutcherson. Katniss has returned to District 12 only to leave again. The pair must now travel on the Victory Tour in honor of their previous win and go to each district to give their words of wisdom.

In the movie the emotions conveyed were clear and strong, taunting and teasing the viewers hearts. The constant reminders of Katniss’ lost friend and fellow tribute Rue, who reminds her of the sister she saved, Prim. The sacrifice and drive that burn and exemplify their voices and actions seem to take watchers away to new emotions that most movies rarely reach. The acting in this movie is amazing, completely sucking you into the world of Panem and making you fall in love with the old and new characters over and over.

Francis Lawrence, director of “Water for Elephants” and “I Am Legend”, delivers the story of “Catching Fire” to the audience with amazing vibrancy and adventure. I could easily detect the incredible effort put into the fight scenes. Each actor uses fluent and natural looking movements that seem so brutal they make you cringe. Even with this director Lawrence did not make it a complete bloodbath that is too gory to handle.

Compared to the book, which is worshipped and adored by its fans, the movie inspires the same devotion. It has a faithful continuity with the book, including the strength of characterization, complex setting and minor details that only the most devoted Hunger Game fans will notice.

Next is the Panem fashion. The outfits and makeup in the movie are even more extravagant than the last, including the prominence of fiery imagery, sparkles and glitter and accessories. Every dress seems to have a voice of its own with different colors, style, material, and each piece has its own identity. The outfits are definitely some fantastic feats of imagination that knows no boundaries.

Katniss continuously states she wants Peeta to survive instead of her, and he reciprocates this. They both have hopes and dreams for the other that could be eliminated by death, but what they come to realize is that they will not be the same if the other if is gone forever. The bond between them grows stronger as friends, partners and something more despite Katniss’ aversion. Though their love is supposedly fictional, it feels as real as can be.

The movie leaves you wanting more with hopes of a resolution in the future. Watch it to see something you have never seen before.

Score: 9/10