It is Not the NRA Hurting You, It is the Government

by Eli Duncan, Opinions Editor

The NRA is one of the most popular, and powerful, grassroots organizations in modern America. It is made of gun loving, patriotic Americans who abide by the gun laws put in place and make this country safer, not more dangerous like the media likes to say.

To suggest that the NRA is responsible for the Parkland shooting is absurd. The FBI and local authorities dropped the ball and indirectly caused this. Police were called to Nikolas Cruz’s house numerous times since 2010 and the FBI got multiple warnings about Cruz and did not follow those tips. Yet, the shooting is because of the NRA and its members? That is far fetched.

This is not to praise the NRA. The NRA is a cesspool of bad legislation. Their resistance to legislation banning “bump stocks” (the gun mod that allows semi-automatic rifles fire at a faster rate) is part of the worst of the NRA.

But when mass shootings happen and the Democrats respond by demonizing the NRA and calling for a ban on weapons like the AR-15, that are part of American’s right to self defense and own firearms.

When they make these claims, they are sending a clear message the the law-abiding gun owners in America: We do not respect you or your right to own guns.

This coupled with both Democrats’ and Republicans’ aversion to work together, make it impossible to reach a bipartisan agreement. Alongside the lobbyist that lines every politicians pockets with money and votes means Americans will never get a deal that can stop the shootings all while keeping the fundamental right in our Constitution.

We all want to keep guns out of the hands of people like Nikolas Cruz. But we should also want to keep guns in the hands of people like Johnnie Langendorff.

He is an NRA member who chased after the shooter in Sutherland Springs. Langendorff chased after the shooter with an AR-15, the same gun people want to restrict. Instead of restricting gun ownership for people like Langendorff who risked his own life to stop a man who killed many, we need to celebrate them and realize the good outweighs the bad.

Countless gun related crimes have been stopped by people with guns, who use them legally. And those legal gun owners are being outcasted by the mainstream media and now, companies who are boycotting the NRA.

The boycott does nothing to hurt the NRA, it will still get millions of dollars a year and will continue to file money into the pockets of career politicians. And that is the real issue.

We elect the career politicians, on both sides, and expect them to get things done. But they are paid by lobby groups to get things they want. Republicans are typically paid by groups like the NRA and Democrats are typically funded by supporters of Planned Parenthood.

If we want something to change, it does not take the boycotting of a group, demonizing the supporters, or taking cheap shots at your opposing political parties members. It takes the people to stop electing the career politicians that flood the government who take the bribes from groups like the NRA. Elect the officials that do not take donations from lobby groups.